problem with cooling fans not coming on

Aflores1955
25

Asked by Aflores1955 Jul 18, 2007 at 12:13 PM about the 2003 Chevrolet Impala Base

cooling fans don't come on,when driving,replaced fans,replaced water pump.and temp sensor 3 times,still not working... but if I remove 1 wire from temp sensor fans come on but temp gauge show zero..Now air conitioning won't work check all fuses and relays all good! but can remove relay from air condition compressor and jump it and air works! what show I check  or do now...

24,945

Sounds like the relay for the cooling fans is bad. This is a common problem. Removing the wire from the temp sensor puts the fans into stay-alive mode, and they run constantly as you found out. Have the relay replaced and you should be fine. As far as the AC, it is most likely related to your cooling fan problem. In order not to increase engine heat, the AC is determining that it has to stay off to keep the engine cool. Solve Job 1 and you should have Job 2 in the bag.

07se2
120

bull ...these cars have problem with bcm ,,,and ecm's with one car the ac compresser comes with ac off ...and over heats cooling fans will not come on !!!!!

fpena
70

Aflores1955, what did you finally do to fix this issue? Was it the cooling fan relay? I have the exact same issue on my Silverado, and everything you described to try, I tried and it behaves just like your car does. If you can let me know.

kereynol
70

I too am having same issue. I have replaced all three relays, ECT, fan assy (due to one fan burnt out), had BCM and PCM checked (both good), all wiring checks good, all signals at correct places but still no fan activity except for 10 seconds every couple of minutes.

Sqeaksdad
70

I replied to "Fan Problems" on this page you can read what I did for my 2000 imp, I replaced nothing but just cleaned contact points on fuses and relays(note that they all checked out good beforehand). My fans hadn't worked at all for two years, then voila! Might work for you.

Trebla Doug
100

02 impala, fan fuse kept burning out. ac fan still working but cooling fan fuse kept burning up as soon the fan start up.

Brew01
70

#1 fan fuse blows when I turn the ac on in 2001 Monte Carlo SS

Kkracker
0

Try removing all fan relay's coat them with dielectric grease, plug them back in and this should work.