replaced brakes, new tires, car still shakes when coming to a stop

savannah
35

Asked by savannah Jul 22, 2007 at 04:16 PM about the 2003 Chevrolet Impala Base

When I brake, the car shakes. I replaced brakes and rotors, had new front and rear tires installed. My car still shakes.

nosirrahg
45

Could be wheel bearings, or you could have a bad/warped wheel. Can you tell if the shake comes from one corner/wheel of the car, or is it an "all over" type thing? If say it's coming from the right front, you could try rotating your tires and see if the vibration moves to a different corner of the car or not. Also, if it's a shake you feel in the steering wheel/brake pedal, it could be the intermediate steering shaft in the steering column...a fairly common problem, but typically described as more of a "clunking" than a shaking. If that's the problem the dealer should be able to lubricate the shaft, which won't fix the problem indefinitely, but will make it better for awhile.