why wont my four wheel drive engage, worked great last year and now nothing

dentman
30

Asked by dentman Dec 03, 2010 at 11:04 PM about the 2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4 Dr XLT 4WD Crew Cab SB

Got my plow on and tried my 4x4 and it doesn't engage.  What's up with it?

papa

check the 4x4 fuse,switch to 4x4 could be bad,it also has a small motor on back of transfer case it could have come unpluged or gone bad.

dentman
30

if the 4x4 light comes on do you think it may still be as simple as a fuse?

papa

yes it could be,the 4x4 fuse is usualy in fuse box under dash,some are under the hood fuse box it will say 4x4 on fuse pannell,also you may want to have the hub assem on front to be checked to see if splines are striped,if just not enguadeing,fuse or the motor mentioned in other post.ford is bad for this motor going bad.

dentman
30

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your prompt and knowledgable answers. You are a blessing!

papa

No problem,hope I was of some help,let me know how it turns out.

jackmanmachine
360

mine was maddening, and was a corroded conductor under the hood. Pull the codes and see if you have a shift relay code. But check your fuses and the shift relays under the hood. Its a pair that fwd/rev the polarity to the shift motor to engage/disengage the 4x4......IF your fuses are good and IF youve replaced both relays under the hood (you can temp swap w any other of the relays under the hood they are the same) then look at the drain hole under the relay housing and look for any whitish green powder around the drain hole. Its a clear indication of copper corroding.....dissassemble the housing and repair.....

lineman
100

where are the fuses located dont have any lables on fuse panel

Terri Kuesel
20

good question mine either but i do numer 17 is one of them, it is a large fuse under the hood'

Terri Kuesel
20

30 amp inch wide