why wont my four wheel drive engage, worked great last year and now nothing

dentman
80

Asked by dentman Dec 03, 2010 at 11:04 PM about the 2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 4WD Crew Cab SB

Got my plow on and tried my 4x4 and it doesn't engage.  What's up with it?

papa

check the 4x4 fuse,switch to 4x4 could be bad,it also has a small motor on back of transfer case it could have come unpluged or gone bad.

dentman
80

if the 4x4 light comes on do you think it may still be as simple as a fuse?

papa

yes it could be,the 4x4 fuse is usualy in fuse box under dash,some are under the hood fuse box it will say 4x4 on fuse pannell,also you may want to have the hub assem on front to be checked to see if splines are striped,if just not enguadeing,fuse or the motor mentioned in other post.ford is bad for this motor going bad.

dentman
80

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your prompt and knowledgable answers. You are a blessing!

papa

No problem,hope I was of some help,let me know how it turns out.

jackmanmachine
590

mine was maddening, and was a corroded conductor under the hood. Pull the codes and see if you have a shift relay code. But check your fuses and the shift relays under the hood. Its a pair that fwd/rev the polarity to the shift motor to engage/disengage the 4x4......IF your fuses are good and IF youve replaced both relays under the hood (you can temp swap w any other of the relays under the hood they are the same) then look at the drain hole under the relay housing and look for any whitish green powder around the drain hole. Its a clear indication of copper corroding.....dissassemble the housing and repair.....

lineman
140

where are the fuses located dont have any lables on fuse panel

Terri Kuesel
20

good question mine either but i do numer 17 is one of them, it is a large fuse under the hood'

Terri Kuesel
20

30 amp inch wide

kevinlod
50

my f-250 will not come out of 4x4 and it wont start

justgens
20

i have replaced the shift motor the dash switch and the relays. the truck is stuck in four low. HELP!!!!!

jackmanmachine
590

look under the two shift relays under the hood, likey you will find white/greenish powder around the drain hole under the assembly. here a conductor has corroded through and wont allow you to shift out. additionaly, truck must be in neutral to shift out of low4x4. you can remove the shift motor and shift it out with a cresent wrench on the shift shaft. make sure its in neutral, parking brake on.

justgens
20

i give that a shot. the thing i do not get is the dash light is saying its not even in four wheel

justgens
20

ralays are clean and greased and still nothing

jackmanmachine
590

the issue is in the position switch then, near the shift motor, it gives the feedback loop back. the factory sm gives a full step by step pin point test for all those conductors. I dont have my 99 f250 anymore, dont need the manuals, its a stack of books about 10" high that cover everything on that truck, yours for 120$ plus shipping if you want them.

jackmanmachine
590

OR, it may still be the dash switch, pry the cover off one shift relay, ensure both are in their sockets, and push on the tab of the relay....it should shift the 4x4, If not, switch the relays from one socket to the other and try again. you will have top swap them to get it to go to the opposite direction or just pry the covers off both and see if it will switch back and forth with your thumb on the contactor of the relay...if it does your issue is in the dash switch.......mj

justgens
20

Thanks for the help

Zachary Woods
0

I just ran into the same problem I looked it up and clicked my way to this thread and I already did everything that was said so have you figured out the problem

jackmanmachine
590

To eliminate a control issue. Pull the cover off two shift relays and push the contactor with your finger alternating from one to the other. That bypasses all controls and control power. ....do that and let me know what you find.

2010F150FX4
0

Jackmanmachine...I'm having the same problem with my 2010 F150 where dash control knob seems to do nothing. Also, no indicator lights come on in the info screen saying 4x4 hi or Lo. I've been wondering if it's the switch itself or something else. Trying to narrow down what's causing the issue and will need 4WD soon. Where are the shift relays? Any other suggestions on what to check?

jackmanmachine
590

dont know on the 2010, google the location, but you get no feedback untill the shift motor makes, IF its the relays, thats simp[le to check the same relays are used all over the ford, just swap with another and see if you get control. IF nothing changes and IF the relay fuse isnt blown then I would gently pry the cover off two relays , place them in the shift sockets and with my finger push the contactor in till it makes. if its in your wiring then the trans will shift..

2010F150FX4
0

Great. Thx. I will try this first and post what happens.

Cathi Sloan
60

Okay I have. F250 4x4 was working great turned it off now no 4x4 light will light up ant ideals ?