Brake Questions??????

j8785
0

Asked by j8785 Jul 04, 2013 at 07:19 AM about the 2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab LB

Yesterday while driving my 2000 F350 Crew Cab Super Duty Diesel, I noticed my truck had some type of resistance in the front when slowing down and taking off from a stop as well as the brake pedal feels differently than normal.  I have never encountered anything like this which makes it some what hard to explain.  It feels like maybe the brakes are staying engaged.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

82,595

Possibly a stuck or frozen caliper.

DavidH25

I suggest inspecting the brakes thoroughly, both front and rear even is it seems to be front. Any noises? Calipers can stick, or there could be a foreign object stuck in there. If you are a DIY guy, just pull off the wheels, either one at a time or with proper jackstands pull them both off and look around real well. After you jack it up, before removing wheel(s) see if they spin freely. If not a DIY person, take it to a mechanic. Do not get under truck with it jacked up with jack supplied for changing a flat..you need to get under to inspect properly

8,995

Follow Tom's lead. Check out the front brakes. When is the last time the bearings were repacked?

DavidH25

Good morning Tom..second day in a row we were typing at same time

DavidH25

And also good morning Tracy

82,595

Same to you David

45,655

If all the above seems normal also inspect the rubber hoses going to the calipers. Have seen some that appear normal but indeed had collapsed on the inside of the hose not allowing the fluid pressure to release back out of the caliper when brake released.

8,995

Good morning all!

j8785
0

thank you all, I am trying to trouble shoot this for my husband as he works construction and gets home late. I did have the truck jacked up with tires off the ground and they tires do not move freely. I was thinking possible master cylinder.

Michael Mierzejewski
1,920

While you have the wheels up, before you remove them, put your hands at 12 and 6 oclock on the tire and do a push/pull action on the wheel. If there is any movement whatsoever, you need to service/replace your wheel bearing. A bad bearing can cause a stuck or frozen caliper so be sure to check this first before servicing your brakes.