How to video for Brake Boost repair

Martevian
10

Asked by Martevian Nov 20, 2012 at 01:15 AM about the 2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500

I have a 04 Suburban 1500 that needs a brake boost repaired. I would like to do it myself..anyone know
of a video on how to do that?

18,435

How on earth did your brake booster fail and who diagnosed it being bad? What are the symptoms you are having? I'm just really shocked that this happened because it very rarely does.

Martevian
10

I took it to the Chevy dealer in Huntsville, AL. The symptoms include steering noise and there is a hissing sound when the brakes are applied.

18,435

A bad brake booster will cause you to loose your power brakes and the engine will run like crap. The only way the brake booster can go bad is if the internal diaphragm looses its seal. The only way for you to see what its like is to remove the vacuum line going to the booster. Grab the plastic fitting with the one way check ball inside located way at the end of the line into the booster and wiggle and pull till it pops out. You can't just remove the hose from the fitting. First you will hear a loud woosh of air enter the booster. After you have pulled the line, start the car and if it will even idle, it will idle horribly. Then try pushing on your brake pedal. Stiff as a rock as long as the system is fairly free of air. The booster won't cause the steering to wiggle either. You probably have a $20 tie rod end that's bad and they want to charge you $1500+ to replace a part that isn't bad.

18,435

My middle finger is touching the fitting that you need to wiggle and pull.

18,435

Yours will look slightly different, I'm pretty sure its on the other side, and you will have a lot more room.

Martevian
10

Okay, the steering is fine just makes a loud squealing sound when I make a turn sometimes. Mostly when I make sharper turns. The ABS and the Traction control lights are illuminated indicating that they are both inactive. There is a slight hiss when the brakes are applied. This is what it looks like??

Martevian
10

This is the other side (Right)