Reseting the On-Board Diagnostics System (Cars Computer)

donloeffler
25

Asked by donloeffler Sep 30, 2007 at 09:10 AM about the 2004 Chevrolet Impala Base

My car was operating perfectly until I disconnected a connector near the oil flter (believe the wire to the connector comes from the manifold) so that I could replace the oil filter.  I drove with the wire off for over 50 miles and the Check Engine Light came on.  My Question is:  Can I reset the On-Board-Diagnostics System (Computer) to distinguish the Check Engine Light, assuming  there is no other problem.  Also, what must I do to reset this System (computer) and will it harm or cause other problems with the car.  Also, when I reset the system what must I do to return the car to normal.

23,625

If you reconnected the connector, the system will reset itself given about 100-150 miles of driving with the connector in place and working. You can get Advance Auto parts to reset your computer for free, or you can have it done at a dealership. It should cause no other problems, however, if the problem was NOT your disconnected connector, the light will come back on if the root cause is not fixed.