Radiator

TiffanyW0605
10

Asked by TiffanyW0605 Sep 04, 2012 at 01:30 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Classic 4 Dr STD Sedan

Hello I have a 04 Classic. I purchased it in 08 with 100,000 miles on it. I have since put 61,000 on it. In 08 I
wrecked it and the body shop that fixed it half way did the work. The brackets I guess is what they are called that
hold the bottom of the radiator in place were broken and not replaced I hit an animal and it pulled the bracket off
the rest of the way. I took it to a radiator shop and they said I needed to replace a shroud and the radiator and the
air condenser. Also the transmission has never been flushed filled and filter replaced. My question is when zip get
the radiator fixed I plan on having my brother in law or uncle do the work I just need to know what part I actually
need for the radiator to sit in? Also should AI have the transmission done or not? And where do I find info on
recalls and if my car has been serviced for any recalls? I seen the fuel pump had been recalled and I replaced it
almost a year ago so that issue has been resolved out of my own pocket.

Thank you for any help you can give me. Email me at softballchick202002@yahoo.com.  Thanks again. Tiffany

Rubie
805

Call your insurance company. If the car was in an accident, they will pay for the repairs. Get it fixed right. Also, if a part is recalled, the manufacturer pays for both the part and labor. Go ask for a refund for the part & labor that your paid which should have been free. To get the refund you might have to ask the manufacturer to reimburse you, not the service department they sent you to,

Jason Zane
3,435

the transmission filter should be changed at the same time you are doing the radiator install. fluid is already leaking out and needs service anyway. u put a lot of miles on the fluid soo hope for the best outcome on that. the brackets are a rubber material and are easy to fix.. your family should have the skills to do the repair. IS YOUR LOWER FRAME STRAIGHT??? the bottom radiator area(metal long plate) should look flat and the color of the car. i'm guessing that you are trying to keep the expenses to a minimal? you can, if it is not much of a hit other than the radiator and condenser.

TiffanyW0605
10

Rubie: I had my car fixed when I wrecked it. However it was not done all the way. What the insurance company told them to fix they did some and not all of it. And I had a crappy insurance company at that time. When I hit the animal I only had liability and the insurance company told me that they did not cover those damages so I am left to fix if out of pocket. Jason: Thank you for your advice. It's only the radiator and air condenser that needs to be replaced. The radiator is still good but dented in on one side. The air condenser is however smashed in ans causing my a/c not to work.

Rubie
805

Sorry to hear your insurance company was lousy. They all try to get out of paying the full claim amount. An insurance adjuster can get up to 50% commission on the amount of your claim that they deny. Sometimes you really have to fight with them, call manager, threaten to sue, send a letter to the state insurance commission, etc. But if you didn't have collision you might not be able to collect. I insure with the Hartford and they have a policy with a $100 deductible that runs about $700 for top of the line policy including full tort and medical benefits. You might want to go thru AAA auto club and see if you can get a better policy that fits your budget. The 1-800- legal type policies really don't cost that much less and you would be covered in case of accident. The deer wouldn't be counted against you. Hint-- even if they tell you not to buy collision cause your car is too old -- get it. The policy i bought guarantees to fix your car instead of total it even if it costs a lot more to fix than the cash value. Don't feel bad, everyone learns this stuff the hard way.

Jason Zane
3,435

in that case... see if you can get a shroud at the auto parts recycling yard. get the brackets that hold the radiator in at the chevy dealer auto parts dept. & the radiator at a reputable shop. your family might know of a radiator good shop. once i tried to patch the radiator.. never do it . it does not hold; buy new replacement. ----- transmission fluid and filter is due for a change anyway.. change it. if the X-mission has no dipstick , it has a different procedure to change. look it up on the web; i even need to learn on my new Camaro. i've never serviced a/c. pick-up a haynes car repair book if you want to learn car repair. good luck!