my 2004 chevy blazer will not engage into 4 lo or hi when you push the button? How do I know its on or working?

caparton5
80

Asked by caparton5 Dec 20, 2012 at 02:00 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Blazer 4 Dr LS 4WD SUV

4,745

What are the lights on the switch doing?

caparton5
80

the lights just stay on. we can hear it shifting, but nothing happens, and still does not engage. we tried to pull he fuse out, didnt work, we tried to put it in N, then switch to 4, then park, still nothing. we tried going in reverse and drive a few times, still nothing.

4,745

Does the light change from 2wd to 4hi? Or will it blink then just go back?

Paul Bostel
95

There's a vacuum operated actuator under the battery tray. Hook up a hand vacuum pump and check that it operates and holds a vacuum. If it does follow the vacuum line back up to the solenoid that operates it on the firewall and inspect for any cracks that may cause a leak. Verify that the solenoid is receiving power when trying to engage the 4wd on the vehicle, and verify functionality of the solenoid by applying 12v to it. If everything checks out there, you are most likely looking at a failed transfer case motor as the problem.

Ryan Beltz
175

take it to a transmission shop and have them look at it! most likely its your transfer case and will need rebuilt dnt cheap out and get 1 used 1 from a junk yard or anything youd be better off getting it rebuilt i own a 2000 4x4 and have been down this road trust me man

4,745

No, these problems are 90% of the time electrical or the vacuum actuator problem. If the transfer case is bad it will usually make some horrible noises.

timsawyer2002
40

mine's kinda doing the same thing it will goin into 4X4 some times but most the time the light's on the switch just blink and go back to 2hi or don't do anything but every once in a while it will lock in and the 4x4 works backwards untill bout 3000 rpm and it starts poping but will not work going forwards it only grids can anyone help

Harleyrich
10

I fix my 03 blazer today it was just vacuum actuator cable sticking .sprayed it worked it buy hand and spraying it .Works great now was going in 4 low but not 4 high when I pushed 4 hi both flash and went back to 2 wheel