I have a 04 Chevrolet Avalanche truck and the dash keep saying service 4 wheel drive.. Is it dangerous to continue driving it??

Ainos
0

Asked by Ainos Jul 17, 2012 at 10:49 AM about the 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 4 Dr 1500 4WD Crew Cab SB

The dash keep saying service 4 wheel drive.. Is it dangerous to continue driving it?? What's the worst  that can
happen?? I have a road trip plan for this weekend and my mechanic is out of town

82,245

A common reason the service 4 wheel drive light goes on is a malfunction of the dash mounted transfer case control switch, but is it a more serious issue, not sure.

trip65

the worst that can happen is you blow your tranny, tranfer case or differential. check the fluid level. make sure it's where it should be. sometimes the selonoid gets stuck , turn it on & off and see if the light goes off.