cylinder 2 misfiring

tercel94owner
0

Asked by tercel94owner Nov 12, 2009 at 08:50 PM about the 1994 Toyota Tercel 4 Dr DX Sedan

cylinder 2 misfires what could it be?
so far this is what i've done
as the car is running it puts and the engine vibrates alot, so one by one i pulled the wires from cylinder 1 all the way to 4 and when i got to cylinder 2  there was no difference in the engine performance, the engine dropped down in idle when unpluggingt the wires that go to cylinders 1, 3 and 4 all but cylinder 2 . i can tell that the car does not have as much balls as it used to (not that it had much) and especially when starting off on a hill. i have a 4auto-spd 4 dr. i  bought new distibutor, cap, wires and plugs yet it still performs like crap.but when Im driving don't feel the problem until the stop sign por when the traffic light is red and also when i'm trying to back up the engine turn off itself when I don't push on the accelaretor. if anyone could help me out that would be awesome
thanks

OldTimer
0

Did you ever get an answer on the #2 cylinder misfire? My son has a Tercel with the same problem. I swapped plugs and fuel injecctors between cylinders but the problem stayed at #2. Good spark and valves are OK (just rebuilt. Ideas?

BrentN
0

The advice given was since it was a junkyard engine, to do a running compression check. His first thoughts were that the valves may be gunked up from sitting so long, thus leaking off compression at higher RPM. His second thought was to use starting fluid or unlit propane just after the engine is started and spray the intake to see if the engine picked up rpm (basically looking for vacuum leaks). You want to be careful not to catch things on fire. This evening, I went out and moved the car outside. I had purchased some Sea Foam engine cleaner to clean the gunk (if any) out of the valves. I decided to spray the intake with starting fluid before doing running compression test. Results: RPM picked up -I have a intake leak. Tomorrow I will work on that. I least know what it is.