why won't my 1991 Toyota tercel start?

Gallwina
25

Asked by Gallwina Sep 26, 2007 at 04:51 PM about the 1991 Toyota Tercel 2 Dr DX Coupe

My car recently had a timing belt replaced, because it wouldn't start. I went out a week later and it wouldn't start again, so we called a tow truck. The tow truck guy got the car started and revved it up and ran it for 3 minutes, he took it to the repair place and now they are saying that it is a blown head gasket. I don't think this is right, but please if you can help i would appreciate it.

Thank yoU!

crazzy450r
705

if your car is "high mile" its vary possible

31,655

A blown head gasket is a very real possibility. You may have had the timing belt replaced because it wouldn't start due to the head gasket issue. Have the mechanic pressure test the system. If the vehicle ran in the interim, it's not likely the timing belt was installed incorrectly.

joecorvair
1,935

If that's the same repair place that did the timing belt, get it towed somewhere else. Log on cars.com/cartalk and look for a reputable mechanic in your area.

18TandSVT
4,055

If the timing belt was broken, the car would not start at all, and would not run.

papa

why did he not replaceheadgasket when he had motor apart head was already off wasent it.

Dan McCaig
275

you don't need to remove the head to do the timing belt on those motors, but the shop that told you that it was the timing belt sounds dumb to me do a compression test and go from there

celi84
25

if it had overheated or lacked performance prior it most likely is the head gasket, although my celica showed no signs it just seized... but it was a strong engine i'm guessing but i knew it was probable