Power steering problem

Rwc46
10

Asked by Rwc46 Feb 05, 2013 at 09:06 PM about the 1997 Toyota Tacoma 2 Dr V6 4WD Extended Cab SB

Replaced inner tie rods and rack n pinion bushings. Now steering is extremely difficult, like I have lost power
steering? I start engine and remove dip stick from power steering Res. and it looks like the fluid is not moving?
Did I loose my power steering pump assisst?
Thanks for any help.

7jimmy7
9,395

did you lose any fluid in the repair process? maby needs bleed, turn full L to R a few times,replace lost fluid,

Rwc46
10

Did not seem to loose any fluid. Checked fluid level and shows to be full. Have turned wheel hard left and hard right many times and does fill to be loosening a little. Also when i jack it up and engine not running, I can turn wheels by grabbing one of the wheels and forcing right and left, but if engine is running I can not turn the wheels by hand at all by thebabove method. Thanks for all help

7jimmy7
9,395

that sounds ok as running you want a stiff straight ahead roll,make sure your belt to pump is gripping good,a slight slip goes unoticed some time