my 2005 chevy malibu suddenly wont go over 40 mph any suggestions

mollygirl19
0

Asked by mollygirl19 Mar 28, 2013 at 03:31 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT

my car has been driving good no probleums then my boyfriend takes car to the store and comes back and said it wont go over 40 mph i trust him completely i just need help im 19 years old giong to arizona university with not much extra money  thanks ahead to my hero

DavidH25

Is the CEL light on? It is possible it has gone in to "limp mode", that happens when a fault is detected and the engine power is reduced to allow you to get home, off the road, a safe place, but prevent further serious damage. I suggest getting your OBD codes read at a large parts store, that is just a possibility what I describe. They will do it free. write the codes down. they will be "P" followed by 4 numbers, bring them back here. Let's see if my guess is right

mollygirl19
0

i will take it to a parts store and let you know thanks so much molly h