2005 Impala ABS and traction control light comes on. .

chevyman388
150

Asked by Apr 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM about the 2005 Chevrolet Impala LS

It sounds like something is slipping in the front end when taking off or turning while going slow. Everything is fine at higher speeds. The traction light goes out but the ABS light stays on.Replaced hubs but after a few months the problem is back. Now it feels like brake pedal is pushing back against my foot.

22,245

your abs is turning on thats whats making the brake pedal push back on your foot. you need to get the trouble codes read somewhere either at a shop or parts store. one you have the code it will point you in the right direction.

GMCustomerService
2,885

I can understand the frustration experienced when lights are on inside the dash. Can you help me understand something; is your ABS light still on in the vehicle or were you questioning the pressure/ push that you were feeling from the pedal? Marlea Wilson, GM Customer Service

chevyman388
150

The ABS and traction control lights come on. When this happens the brake pedal tries to "push back" against my foot whenever I apply the brakes. This happens about 70-80% of the time when I drive this car. It did this several months ago and I was told by a mechanic that the front hubs needed to be replaced. Both hubs were replaced and the problem went away for a few months but has since returned. Sometimes it sounds like something is slipping in the front wheels and the brakes "vibrate" but this is only under low speed such as in a parking lot.

22,245

Go get the dtc's checked. You probably have a wheel speed sensor fault. If you have a light on a dtc has been stored you need a scan tool to figure out what that dtc is

26,335

You will need an abs scan tool, auto zones cheap scanner won't pick up the abs code.

Jrmane Warren
20

Show me

ScottGND
95

I fixed this problem yesterday. Background: My 2005 Impala had the exact same problem; "ABS", "Traction light off", and message "Service Traction System" in the message center. When accelerating or turning from a stop the car it sounds like something is slipping and took off very slowly. The mechanic said the wheel hubs had to be replaced, replaced both front wheel hubs but this didn't solve this issue. I had the Diagnostic Trouble Codes for OBD II checked and nothing came up. Solution: I went to the Autozone and asked for them to use their ABS code reader, (also free of charge but different from their DTC code reader). They read this and found 5 codes: C1216: EBCM Command Pressure Release Is Too Long C1221: LF Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal is 0 C1225: LF Excessive Wheel Speed Variation C1232: Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Open Or Shorted C1245: Low Tire Pressure Detected Problem solving: From this I knew one of two things could be wrong, the speed sensor in the wheel hub could be bad or their could be a problem with the speed sensor cable. How I solved my car's issue: I put the car on a jack stand and removed the front left tire. It turned out that the speed sensor on the wheel hub was unplugged. Weird right? Well the plastic cable housing has plastic strain reliefs (in circular shapes) that hold the wire onto the chasis so that the cable doesn't move around or get caught in the tire or drag on the ground. This strain relief was somehow set up so that the cable for the speed sensor did not have enough slack. When you turned the wheel all the way, the cable would unplug itself. I un-did all of the strain reliefs, put the cable in a position with more slack on the wheel hub speed sensor connector, and put it back into all of the strain reliefs. I drove it yesterday and today and the problem is gone. Your problem could be in any of the wheel hub speed sensor circuits. I would recommend going to an Autozone and asking for their free ABS reader diagnostic to find out which tire's circuit is the problem. From here it could be the wheel hub speed sensor or the cable to it. If it is the wheel hub speed sensor, you may have to replace the wheel hub itself. But if it is a cable problem (more common) you may have to replace the cable. (Or maybe you are lucky and like mine it was just unplugged.) There is a way to check the cable using a multimeter and continuity. If it's not the cable it's the sensor. There are a lot of youtube videos about changing speed sensors and wheel hub assemblies or speed sensor cables. Hope this helps. Scott Burke, Richmond, KY