How can I tell if I have AWD? Short of climbing under car I'm a senior.

PastorDave1001
0

Asked by PastorDave1001 Jan 10, 2013 at 12:10 AM about the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT

Just purchased a 2005 Equinox LT hey said it was AWD but I don't trust their word.

62,645

If it's AWD, there should be a rear axle. Front wheel drive is standard, AWD is a option. You could use a mirror to sneak a peek under there.

David Scott
455

http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/pdf/vincard05.pd f 2nd page of this pdf file shows the vin breakdown for the 2005 light duty truck / multi-purpose passenger vehicles including the Equinox. Looks like if your 5th and 6th digits on your vin are L2 or L7 you have AWD. the L2 is for the LS AWD version and the L7 is for the LT AWD version.

David Scott
455

http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/pdf/vincard05.pdf the link didn't show properly on the first post

8,235

Lol, i like this one. Pull or push parking brake as far as you can, put it in drive and slam the gas. If your front wheels just spin, congratulations its fwd. If it goes with little to no slip its awd.

David Scott
455

Andrew that could also damage the awd if he has it

8,235

The back wheels will just overpower the parking brake if it's awd. The man said he doesnt want to crawl under the truck and has just bought it so I'm assuming has mounds of paperwork already stating it's AWD so idk if he'll be happy with seeing a VIN number. Another way to prove it is to just floor it on a dirt road from a stop and see what wheels spin. If it breaks doing what I said for just a few seconds it shouldnt be on the road.

TransconaDude
0

just take the vin and call the local chevy dealership to confirm if it says awd on the papers and it turns out not to be then he is selling under false pretences