2002 Highlander will not shift into park

dmross
50

Asked by dmross Aug 17, 2011 at 11:14 PM about the 2002 Toyota Highlander Limited V6 4WD

My wife's 2002 Highlander will not shift into Park. It will go through every gear except Park. Any ideas on what the problem and fix is? Thank You

dmross
50

Turns out the terminal cover on the battery came loose and fell down in the engine. This caused the shifter linkage to get jambed. $40 fix. dmross

SAHog
40

The same problem happened to us. Luckily, we used this forum and figured the problem out without a trip to the dealership.

Thomasg49
10

My 2002 highlander did this yesterday. I pushed it back away from parking lot curb. Then took it the Toyota Dealer. Then came home , Googled up the problem, I found this site and people with the same problem. I called the dealer, they had closed for the day, so first thing today I called at 8 AM..the guy went and looked under the hood, and found this had happened to my Highlander..The dealer fixed it, No Charge....Feel kind of dumb for not looking under the hood myself before taking it in to the dealer.....

Jordan VanDijk
0

Oh my goodness my wife had the exact same thing. The battery terminal cover fell straight down and wedged under the shifter linkage. Just yanked it out and we were good to go.