2001 Toyota Echo - Speedometer intermittantly goes on and off + odometer maxed out

rich20012
0

Asked by rich20012 Mar 25, 2013 at 03:53 PM about the 2001 Toyota ECHO 4 Dr STD Sedan

I have a 2001 Toyota echo, and first thing that happened was I took it for an oil change.. a few days later I noticed
my odometer went from 80,000 miles to 999,999 and stayed there. The trip mileage will work but the odometer is
maxed out (its digital) and wont reset. Then a few weeks later, i noticed when driving, my speedometer was on '0"
and wouldnt move... since then, it works when it wants to, more often not working than working. What kind of
repairs would I be getting into, should I choose to take it to the dealership?  Thanks for any info.

45,595

It seems to me like there are several thing you could look at before resorting to the dealership for a solution. I would first look at the fuses since it is electrical. I wouldn't expect to find any blown fuses but it's easy and cheap to check. Second, I would finds a Toyota forum and ask other owners what part failed. Third would depend on what owners say. I would start searching eBay for an output device on the transmission and used gauges. The dealer would have to change the mileage on the odometer for you.