anything I should know about 1998 Toyota Corolla's before I get one?

Robert Wolfe
135

Asked by Robert Mar 17, 2013 at 12:38 AM about the 1998 Toyota Corolla CE

judge_roy

toyotas are AMAZING for reliability, and build tolerances.

mrmoony
1,920

Seems every vehicle has proes and cons.

45,885

It is a 15 year old car so it will have issues.

DavidH25

80% of Toyota's (not including Lexus) built since 1994 are still on the road. 10% of those left have been wrecked, leaving 10% of just shy of 10 million cars being junked due to mechanical failure. I don't have figures for 1988, But it is my opinion that when it comes to reliability, not a specific car but as a manufacturer. Toyota has no peers. The 1988 was the 6th generation, running from 1987 to 1991, the first generation to have front wheel drive, and I know of no issues they were known for, Sure, st TS pointed out ANY 15 year old car will have some sort of, well, issue. But there are no known recurring faults in the '88 Corolla. There was a single recall for the 1988 Corolla, a front suspension "problem" with a robot welded spot weld, that was when the 'robot' manufacturing process was still working the bugs of it own. and the recall was not even issued until 2010! After 12 years of cars on the road in use. It said "the front strut could become unattached resulting in loss of control" There was no crash ever reported because of this.

DavidH25

Check out: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Corolla/1988/..it is a very empty page. Some cooling system complaints from a few owners. As you may have deduced from my little essay, I am a firm believer in the Corolla, I have one. You can expect, with proper maintenance well over 200,000 miles from that car. Probably more, much more. There are unsubstantiated claims of 500,000 miles. Toyota has a reputation of paying attention to details and close tolerance engineering, the '88 being no exception. I do not have the numbers, but I would bet the proverbial farm that the percentage of 1988 vehicles still being driven is higher that any other car in it's class, meaning a reasonably priced, get~you~where~you~want~to~go car, sure the very expensive Mercedes or Bentley or the like may have that beat. But for a 1988 there is no better, at least that can be had in the under $2,000 price range.

Best Answer
DavidH25

It's a gem

DavidH25

This happens more causing a Corolla to go to the junkyard more than mechanical failures

Robert Wolfe
135

I'm getting a 1998 free, enough said thanks to all...

45,885

Free! That's a good price.

judge_roy

....yes, but like a gift horse with missing teeth, may be riddled with problems and you're just the man to attend these pricey items-

DavidH25

But once you realize that and have not gotten TOO far in to the hole by listening to me and my rants, well, you can still get a couple hundred bucks from the junkyard. Opps, I keep forgetting..AutoRecyclers. and become one of those 10%,and I know for a fact they (the junkyards) pay a little more for Toyotas since they have so few and used parts are in demand

DavidH25

And good morning gentlemen, and no Bob I don't feel self~righteous, I never do. I usually feel more guilt than anything

judge_roy

When you're right, you're right!~

judge_roy

might be perfect...have never been gifted a Horse....~

judge_roy

H25 advises against the 2013 + 2014 models~