My 93 Toyota Corolla DX overdrive light comes on off. What could be the issue?

pologirl67
0

Asked by pologirl67 Feb 26, 2012 at 01:17 PM about the 1993 Toyota Corolla DX

I have taken it to a mechanic, he said the code he got were to replace the speed sensor & the throttle position sensor. However,after not even getting to the stop sign; the light started flashing on & off and it seems to not shift properly. He told me it was more than likely an issue with the transmission, and due to the age of the car, he did not recommend getting it fixed. I took it some where else and they said it could be something electrical. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew Peerenboom
235

If the car doesn't seem to be changing gear properly on a automatic, that's usually a pretty bad sign. As with any electrical system in a car, an electrical fault could always be to blame, but a flashing O/D light is the ECU's way of telling you you're torque converter or clutch is starting to go. Which is why the mechanic said not to fix it. Repairing a clutch on an automatic transmission requires replacing the transmission, and due to the age of the car, cost would exceed the value of the vehicle.

badasuak
0

Thank you