I bought a 2001 celica. They did not tell me hatchback broken when I bought it. Even after fixed it is too heavy for me to open. Any ideas how to fix? Ty.

Carol Levy
0

Asked by Carol Feb 20, 2013 at 01:35 PM about the 2001 Toyota Celica GTS

Once the car was fixed because of a bad neck the hatchback is still way too heavy for me to open safely, (before the struts kick in).  Because the car was misrepresented I have a feeling they may not have used the best or most powerful struts they could have and maybe there are some that kick in faster and work better which might help in making it easier to open. Or is there something else that can be added.

59,225

Replace the inadequate struts with the correct struts.

Carol Levy
0

I am not sure they are inadequate or not. I was hoping there was something else to do. I do not know if there are different strenghts for instance of strut. Thank you for your reply.

59,225

Yes there are different ratings for the struts. The larger hoods and hatches need a stronger strut to bear the load. They are different lengths when open and closed too. Get the correct struts. -- The people that "fixed" it took used struts off of another car and told you it was fixed.

Carol Levy
0

tensepeed that wouldnt surprise me at all.