Cobalt not getting fuel?

usarmykelly
30

Asked by usarmykelly Aug 13, 2012 at 07:04 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Base

05 Chevy Cobalt
Tapping/clicking determined as a starter problem, replaced it and now it will turn over but no fire to the
pistons.   Sounds like it isn't getting any fuel?  It just coughs. Checked all fuses and swapped a couple of
relays and nothing.  Could I have fried something by jumping it to many times

LtColumbo
385

The inertia, or emergency shut off switch may have been tripped. This switch cuts off fuel supply to the engine in accidents, and in some cases can be tripped If the car has been "bumper tapped". If you don't know where it is located contact a dealer, or parts place like Autozone. It could also be a loose or faulty neutral safety switch, which keeps the engine from starting while the transmission is in gear. Move the shifter around a couple of times then try starting again. If these two suggestions do not help, then I would look at a faulty ground wire - possibly at the fuse box.

Tom Torres
2,205

so you are saying it turns over but doesnt start but it trys to first off dont listen to the post above because inertia switches are only used on fords and the the neutral safety switch will cause it to not crank as well u are going to need a test light or multimeter to check for power and ground to fuel pump it could be other things besides a fuel pump fyi disconnect mass airflow sensor and take snorkel off the throttle body and spray mass air flow cleaner in to the intake just a little though to prevent backfire meanwhile someone cranks it give it more spray as starts to run run it for 30 second on spray to make sure it runs fairly smoothish that will tell u if its a fuel related problem if no start while doing it it could be in another system if starts and runs on spray then check fuel pump circuit