Car will not start

christopher00
0

Asked by christopher00 Feb 01, 2009 at 09:49 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport

I was driving the car and I thought it ran out of gas. I put gas in the car and it still would not start. I checked the fuel pressure and it was fine. I checked to make sure the car was getting spark and it was. I also installed a new crank shaft position sensor.  The car cranks smoothly but wont start. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Adam Morgan
5,125

You have spark, fuel pressure, and it's cranking? That's odd... sensor failure or lockup will either shut down the fuel pump or the ignition system, so that's pretty much eliminated... Is it throwing any codes? I mean spark+fuel=bang... You said you have spark and fuel pressure, and EMS I believe handles the ignition, so chances are if you're getting spark you're getting signal to the injectors? It was running when it died, you would have noticed a mechanical failure, and I beleive the ecotec has a compression sensor that is used in place of a cam sensor, so a compression failure will shut down the ignition module... I'm stumped... it just isn't adding up...

christopher00
0

its not throwing any codes because the car sat for 2 months before I started working on it.

Adam Morgan
5,125

I'd recommend taking it to a shop to be diagnosed then. I'm guessing the injectors aren't firing, but it's hard to guess as to why.

christopher00
0

I sprayed starting fluid into the throttle body and it would not start with that either so I dont think it is an injector problem. I think it might be a timing issue. Does that make sense to you?

Adam Morgan
5,125

Not really if the timing was off there would be no spark. That year used a compression sensor instead of a cam sensor so you only get spark with compression. If the cams are out of alignment it doesn't build compression and the ignition won't fire, this takes the place of a traditional cam sensor. If you're getting spark that makes no sense. Like I said, something doesn't add up.

Bill Flunker
305

you need 5 things for a car to run fuel, spark, air, compression and timing, if the timing belt/chain jumped one tooth ur sensors could still be picking up a signal and telling it to spark but if the timing is off its not getting the compression, does it sound likes its cranking too easy? thats what i would check for and see if its the timing

Jimmy Wood
95

wow you have spark and fuel pressure and a new crank sensor... hmmm no engine codes? either your injectors and not firing or the cam sensor is not working or computer problem.

brianalan01
10

Yeah...check compresson, but would not just die, unless it had major engine failure all at once....would would be extremely rare. How are you checking for spark? By pulling the plug and grounding it? Just because a plug has spark outside the engine does not always mean it has a good enough spark when installed. Are you checking all four plugs for spark? if your spraying either into it and it doesn;t even try, then I would not go after injectors. I would say cam sensor, or basic ignition problems...ie...wires plugs, coils take your coils up to NAPA or Advance and have them checked, along with ignition module start checking parts one by one if you cant figure it out...free to test parts

brianalan01
10

didnt break a timing chain did you? think you would of known that

Jimmy Wood
95

for testing the coils and ignition module you can do that from home with a multimeter i for get the readiing now but i'm sure you can find them... test the primary and secondary sides of the coil test them both they should be the same, for the ignition module take the coils off and while cranking the engine see if the coils and getting there signal with a test light.

elisha1234
10

My car just had a new fuel pump in and run for a day now it wont start back

camsawake
30

Look at the oil pressure sending unit it also controls fuel pump,if it fails to signal computer the oil pressure is there when cranking,the injectors and or pump will not fire/run.

mcsdguy79
40

Did you guys ever figure out what was going on. My wife's 2004 cavalier just turns over and will not start up. I have fuel pressure. I have replaced the Fuel pump, Fuel filter, crankshaft sensor, coil packs, ecm and still nothing. I am stumped.

Matt_G
60

I also have a 2003 cavalier that has fuel pressure, spark, compression and wont start. I had the car checked to make sure it wasn't a security issue and that is fine. When the car stopped running I drove into work and parked, when I went to go out for lunch it acted like it had a dead battery so put a new one in and just turns over. I have also sprayed starting fluid in the throttle body and it acts like it wants to start at wide open throttle but dies as soon as you let off the key...... any help would be appreciated. o and the car has now been sitting at the mechanics shop for three weeks and they have no more clue than I do.