I have a 2005 cavalier that will crank and idle fine but when I give it gas itspitts and sputters and will try to stall. If I push the gas 3/4 down it clears up. The check engine light is on.

calop
0

Asked by calop Nov 08, 2012 at 12:57 AM about the 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe

My car will try to stall like its getting too much gas from a stop and go but if I punch it everything clears up.
The check engine light is on also

18,445

Find out why the check engine light is on. It probably has a bad plug and its missing at idle and clears up due to engine speed. Does the check engine light ever flash?

Best Answer
calop
0

Just changed the plugs. Its supercharged and I have been trying has an mad ignition. I just replaced the coil packs back to stock and it started after.

18,445

Explain what happened from the beginning. Reading what you wrote in the last one has me confused. I need to know what was replaced/ removed.

calop
0

I'm sorry. In the beginning I had aftermarket coil packs that stopped firing so I put a stock coil back on it and now it cranks an runs but at 2500 rpms it spits and bogs and trys to die

18,445

It has a supercharger on it? And you replaced only 1 coil?

calop
0

The stock coil is a single strip so I took the after markets off.

18,445

So when you put that new strip on the valve cover did you replace the old boots and the conductors inside of them?

calop
0

I did not. Could that be my problem

18,445

There is a chance. If those coiled wires stretched while removing them its possible that they were weakened and aren't carrying the 30,000+V properly. Has it done it ever since the coil was replaced? If it has there is also the possibility that the engine is now required to have that coil on it due to the supercharger. Who put a supercharger on it? Do you have the old coil so you can get the part number?

calop
0

Yes its happened ever since the switch. I do have the coils in my trunk

18,445

What is the brand?

18,445

If you don't know off hand don't go out of your way to get it, I'm just asking out of curiosity.

18,445

Did somebody have a dealer install the supercharger kit or is it aftermarket?

calop
0

Its aftermarket. The owner before me installed the msd, super charger, header and exhaust.

18,445

Go ahead and get the code scanned and we can go from there

calop
0

Okay thanks