Temp gauge in the red zone after thermostat & 2 sensor changes.

Spankyriker
10

Asked by Spankyriker Jun 28, 2013 at 10:04 AM about the 2001 Toyota Camry CE

2001 Camry. Check engine light came on. Had it checked at Advance Auto. Engine
code P308? / thermostat or coolant issue. There are no leaks of water or antifreeze and
the a/c and heat work great.

Temp gauge was going immediately to medium (3 o'clock position) after starting. When
actually warmed up, went to about the 2 o'clock position.  Replaced 2 thermostat
sensors, disconnected battery to reset the computer and light went out but temp gauge
still went to 3 then 2 o'clock positions.  After 100 miles the engine light popped on
again after each sensor change. Then changed the thermostat 2x (once by me then by
a mechanic - thinking the first  'stat was bad) and although the light went out, the
gauge now went immediately to the 1 o'clock position and after a minute, went into the
red zone.  

What else could it be? The water pump, radiator clog, or faulty temp gauge?

2,430

Did you change out thermostat or someone else? Did they put it in backwards? Sounds stupid but my dads buddy had an overheat issue in his rig and the mechanics installed his fan BACKWARDS! The water pump usually leaks or makes noise if it's bad. What you can do for a test is take off the radiator cap when the engine is cold and run the car until you see the fluid circulate through your radiator. That way you at least know if the thermostat is opening. Have you checked your electric fan to make sure it's operating?

Spankyriker
10

I changed the stat, a local mechanic changed it too. He mentioned it could be the water pump or radiator issue, but still not resolved, so I took it to the Toyota dealer. It was a sensor on the bottom of the radiator. $260 --not peanuts, but a lot cheaper than a water pump replacement, which is was not and no more guessing what the codes mean specifically. Thanks for trying!

2,430

I hope the $260 was for a whole new radiator. The sensor in the bottom is only a $12 item.....http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=1993+toyota+camry+coolant+temperature+sensor