random stalling when coming to a stop or slowing down.

mrc1128
0

Asked by mrc1128 Dec 18, 2009 at 10:08 AM about the 1999 Toyota Camry XLE

At random times - once a week when I am coming to a stop or slowing down in traffic (when it's below 1 rpm) the car will just stall. It starts up o.k., and then will be fine the rest of the day. I've had it to my mechanic 4 times and to Toyota dealer once. No one can figure out what's wrong.  Quite scary since I lose all power, brakes and all when it stalls!!   Help!!

Nisu Gohel
440

Not sure if you found any Camry stalling fixes but take a look at here: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77478. I'm having the same issue with my 98 Camry CE. Usually happens randomly when slowing down (when the rmp drop below 1000). Hope this helps. I'm going to try out a few things from all the replies. Going to start with fixing the EGR value.

You think this is helpful.
jmlb25
420

Over the last 8 months, my 2002 V6 Camry with 105,000 miles on it, has had intermittent stalling when I stop at a light on the Bronx River Parkway. The car is dead for about 3 minutes and then starts up again. It has happened twice in one day, twice in a week and then it doesn't happen for two months. All total it has happened about a dozen variable times and only after driving about 6 to 8 miles at approximately 50 mph. My mechanic did some research, but there was nothing definative until I held off a stall by putting my car in neutral at a stop light on my way home from work last week and then stepped on the gas pedal to keep up the rpm. Finally, after a near stall going home from work last week on BR Pky at a stop light, ( I so feared getting rear ended during this rush hour) I put car into neutral and pressed on the gas until the light turned green. I made it to my mechanic by not making full stops and taking a route with the fewest lights. Finally, the car totally stalled in front of my mechanic's garage where he was able to make a diagnostic. I was told it was a "fuel problem". The car was getting "spark", so not electrical. Hope this helps. MLB Now my car has been fixed, and I picked it up today. My mechanic said he had to drop the fuel tank and found the fuel filter in the gas tank to be filthy. I got my car back today after spending $270. Toyota said it was something else (some kind of assembly), but my mechanic had his doubts.

emw
210

Random stalling when coming to a stop or slowing down. 2/9/2012 - I live in a steep hilly area & drive a 2002 Toyota Camry XLE with approx 69,000 miles on it. Randomly (approx. 6 times in 3 months)- usually the car stalls on the Parkway when I slow down to avoid or stopping for a red traffic light. On two occasions I barely made it on to the driveway (also on a slope) and the engine stalled before I was able to turn the ignition off. One time I lost power in a turn and lost steering and felt pretty scared. After 10 minutes I could start the car again. On two occasions my mechanic twice adjusted the air mixture to increase the RPMs and reset the engine's computer. The second time he asked me to take it to a Toyota Dealership and they charged me a diagnostic fee and could not find an error computer message or fix the problem, but recommended a new transsion for $4,388 saying the only thing they can find is a slight stumbling between 2nd & 3rd gear. That seems odd when the problem is when I am slowing way down and could understand it happening between 1st & 2nd gear. I am torn between taking the car into my mechanic or buying another brand of car because the anxiety of stalling is getting to me - potentially in rush-hour traffic or on the freeway.

jmlb25
420

All I know is that I trust my mechanic over the Toyota dealership that wanted to make a diagnostic at a cost to me. I knew that if nothing happened during the Toyota dealership diagnostic, nothing would be conclusive and I'd still have to pay for the diagnostic. My regular mechanic doesn't charge for a diagnostic. The last diagnostic occured during an immediate stall right in front of mechanic's garage. I had delayed the stall by trying not to fully stop or pushed down lightly on the gas pedal as much as I could to prevent the stall. Several things have been fixed on my car by mechanic. First it was the rotted out fuel tank. Mechanic fixed that as well as replacing the gas tank fuel filter and the fuel pump. Stalling continued. A sensor was then replaced. Car still continued to stall. Another different sensor was replaced and mechanic did not charge for this. In addition he gave me a free oil change and other servicing. Guess he felt bad. The car then worked better, but stalling began again with a different stall pattern. This time whenever I stop at a light on the BR Parkway or on an off road just after getting off the parkway and it stalls, I put the car in neutral and restart the car. It starts right back up, but then fades again towards stalling. Only after rev ving up the engine one or more times does the rpm go back to normal. All this is tolerable for the time being, but yes, all this stalling does cause anxiety. The week after next I have off for a week, and will hand over the car to my mechanic. This type of stalling now occurs several times a week. All this has never been a problem at all while driving. It is only when I come to a stop. Most stops it doesn't stall, but again, this is now happening several times a week. I now have had my 2002 Camry for 10 years with just over 111,000 miles on it, and up until fall of 2010, I never had such a problem before. It is my feeling the problem is all related, from one thing to the next. While under warrantee after buying the car, there was a problem with filling up the gas tank. Fuel pumping into the car would constantly keep shutting off despite the tank not nearly being anywhere full. Toyota dealership fixed the problem at no cost while under warrantee, but I oftentimes wonder if there has been something inherently wrong with the entire fuel delivery system from the very beginning. I'm hopeful that this will be resolved, but I have begun to look at other cars including possibly another Camry ( just like this comfortable good looking mid sized car that has been rated well over the years by Consumer Reports magazine). In the past I bought a Corolla that lasted 10 years with only 75,000 miles (stalling while driving, which was so very scary!), but then had a second Corolla for 15 years that lasted with over 205,000 miles never stalling, and its life ended only because of an accident that had nothing to do with the mechanics of the car.

jmlb25
420

I forgot to mention, and Toyota needs to know this, that I expect more from the 2002 V6 Camry I have. What I've heard and seen in written reports about Toyotas being still better than average vehicles, last years' recalls and my recent experience with a car that is "just broken in" is disappointing. It is the first time in nearly 30 years that I am considering not buying another Toyota. My spouse, after buying several Toyotas over the years we've been married, purchased a very high rated Honda for the first time last year.

jmlb25
420

Stalling continued. I bought a new car.

johnkerr
100

clean the throatlebody

buccaboy
80

I have a 98 camry auto 4cyl, how many rpms are normal sitting on 100km??? thanks

Abel Nava
90

hi I am sharing with you that I had the so anoying problem and after changing a number of parts trying to figure out the problem finally came to the end of the road thanks to all the tips i found on google and the help from a mecanic who happens to be my brother problem fixed but not before spending a good amount of time and a lot of frustation isspecially because just buyed the car for my son trying to help him out butt hank god and you guys his car is running like a champ now aftter changing the throtle body distributor coolant sensor oxygen sensor fuel filter fuel pump poretd vacum swith etc.turned ouy to be very simple egr valve was getting stuck p.s. I now have a lot extra parts for my car and some experience with camreys to share with you I hope this helps someone out there with same problem

rwbuddha
60

Have 290,000 on my Camry LE, FIXED the stall problem by getting a lower mileage (150,000) throttle body which came with Idle Air Control. Also cleaned the EGR port. Runs great now. A new IAC was $210 bucks. The salvage unit was $35. No big problem to replace, if you have basic mechanical skills.

swami
10

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry XLE V6 with 110k miles and have the exact same problem. A few months back, when this happened, the mechanic cleaned the throttle body. This happened again in the rain last weekend. Two separate mechanics couldn't find any problem. One suspects the idle speed control valve but said that he didn't have proof.