Where can I find the sunroof drain tube?

Rick_K
85

Asked by Rick_K Aug 19, 2007 at 01:18 PM about the 1998 Toyota Camry LE

The front and rear passenger side floor is soaking wet after the car is left out in the rain. I'm told the sunroof drain is plugged. I have tried to locate where it could be but I don't see anything.

25,465

These typically run down either the front windshield (A Pillars) pillars or down the B or C pillars of the vehicle and exit underneath the car. Look for little rubber spouts exiting the vehicle underneath the car in these areas.

Hood
210

I had the same problem on my sons 1998 Camry. Think I finally fixed it. The front drain tubes exit underneath the car between the front tire mud flaps and the inner wheel plastic guard. It is not a tube like I read so many times. The rear may be but I wasn't having problems with those. It looks more like a seam between two metal panels. You can barely get your finger in it. I dug out a ton of grime/dirt etc. I also took my air compressor and blew it out from the top and bottom. A helpful tip I read on one of these streams was to take some weed eater string and feed it down from the top, it kinda gives you an idea on where the stoppage is and it may have helped un-stop it. When I started I poured some water in the sunroof channel and watched it come out by the kicker panel inside the car. Now when I poured water in it it comes out underneath the car. So I'm fairly confident it's unplugged. Now just wishing it would rain.

DSC222
190

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry, water would run between the door and the dash and soak the passenger side floor board. I then started noticing the headliner would be getting wet also. After some research I about the drain tubes, I ran weedeater line down the holes and poured water in sunroof rail. Still leaking! So then I decided to start the next part, I pulled the interior trip from around the sunroof, I then popped the passenger handle on the headliner off, to do this it has a cap that you can pop off with a small flat screw driver, then it has squeeze type clips holding it in, after that the passenger visor, same way, has a small cap, then squeeze type holders. Once those were off I was able to pull the headliner down enough to see inside there. I ran my weedeater cord again and found the drain tube had become disconnected. So after some squeezing my hand in there by pulling down on the headliner to just about that breaking point I was able to re-attach the tube. If you have small hands this will be a breeze. Now no more leak! I then for safe measure ran weedeater line to the ground on each hole and they are all clear, dont use air, that is what I believe knocked my line off with air presure, they are not made for that. Good Luck!

sagrawal77
10

I had the same drain problem and my passenger side floor board was soaking wet on Camry 2007. Took it to Toyota dealer and they informed that the drain tube had got disconnected. they charged 285 bucks to fix it . Only if I could have found this web-page before taking my car to dealer :(

SaunaCity
20

DSC222 and sagrawal77 are absolutely correct. My 2007 Camry Hybrid has had leaks twice because of first, the passenger side front, then the passenger side rear drain tubes disconnecting. First time cost me $900 because the carpet for the entire car had to be replaced. The second time didn't need a carpet change. It shouldn't matter that the vehicle is 6-7 years old--it should be waterproof! Sorry, but I will never buy another Toyota because of this design flaw, and I'll also avoid sunroofs. I keep thinking: There are still two more drain tubes that have not yet disconnected.

girlpower
0

Had water soaking the rug on my driver's side, especially at the trunk release lever. Stuck my finger in there; felt water underneath. Remembered the sprinkler hit the car a few days before when the moon roof was ajar. Water wasn't draining out the bottom. Probably sloshed when I drove, creating new soaks. The Toyota dealer quoted me $990 to clear the moon roof drain clog; said it required hours of labor. So I used my brain. Poured water in the passenger's side drain at the top and watched where it drained out underneath, behind the wheel, under the runner. Tried the driver's side; it barely drained. So I had the gas station put it up on the rack. Stuck my finger in the plastic slot [a few inches long] under the runner, scooped out yucky mud, and all the water flushed out. The mechanic blasted the top with compressed air. Moral: don't leave your moon roof ajar. Debris gets in there, and so does lawn sprinkler water!

01bigjon
585

Parts of sunroof frame look at sunroof diagrame at dealership Have them fax or email you pic You'll know what your up against