98 Toyota Camry that temp guage is slow to rise but engine feels if overheating

Wasa_D
0

Asked by Wasa_D Mar 24, 2013 at 04:02 AM about the 1998 Toyota Camry CE

My son has a 98 camry. He recently noticed that the temp guage was slow to come up to middle (usual running temp) and would drop down when going down a hill. He also believes he can smell fumes or something different in the cabin. He believes the engine gets hotter than usual but not being mechanically minded could just be imagining the fumes and excessive heat.

DavidH25

Thermostat. If it does not close properly, what you describe will be exactly what happens, the coolant begins to circulate immediately upon start and will be slow to bring engine up to operating temperature, going downhill it will cool the engine ..and as for his imagination I don't know what to tell you but running without a thermostat can also cause overheating as the coolant does not stay in the radiator long enough to cool

Wasa_D
0

Thanks David, I will pass it on and get him to check the thermostat. Poss' also get himto check his imagination!

DavidH25

Well, first, you're welcome, no problem. But that won't cause any coolant to get in the cabin to detect any odor. It's strictly internal in the engine.