Is there a method to equalize the charge across all cells of the HV battery? Is this done automatically?

Paxman
0

Asked by Paxman Mar 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM about the 2001 Toyota Prius Base

Getting Error code P3006 following a period of a week or 2 where it is not driven.  Code does not occur when regularly driven.  Techstream data shows some imballance, 200 mV across the 19 14.4 Volt blocks.

judge_roy

replace the battery.

45,695

After digging back through the dead brain cells - short answer is yes. --- Don't ask me how to do it with modern automotive battery cells. All of my experience has been with WWII vintage diesel electric batteries. It involved many hours of charging with individual cell acid height and specific gravity reading taken and compared.

45,695

A new battery is $2000-$2500 so it would be my guess that the OP would want to extend the battery as long as possible.

45,695

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ni-MH_Battery_01.JPG

judge_roy

2001? even the most efficient deep-cycle technology cannot run this amount of time, even if NEVER in storage~

judge_roy

like monkeyin' around with somethin' that will probably catch fire, with the slip of a hand...no, it's worth a hospital bill to not mess around with storage batteries...they are human-being unfriendly!

45,695

Bob-Roy... My job was to monkey around with storage batteries. I was trained to do so. Others have the same training and apply their knowledge to automotive applications. A mechanic repairs a metal box that contains explosions. A slip of the hand can result in injury. That's why there is training and safety regulations. --- You're the one who wants to battery power a Volkswagen. You're going to have to learn this stuff.

judge_roy

My volkswagen bug caught fire, and was completely destroyed when I loaned it to my lead-singer for a spell because of tryin' to fit a group 24 under the backseat, my other vw caught fire on the freeway 'cause an improperly installed car-stereo....so a history of VW's and fire and have taught me NEVER own a VW!