transfer case

dad2u
0

Asked by dad2u Sep 10, 2008 at 05:01 PM about the 1992 Suzuki Sidekick 2 Dr JS Convertible

I'm looking at a '92 sidekick. the transfer case is loud (as in it makes a loud gear whine; no crunching, or ominous sounds and it sniks into 4H smoothly). It seems to operate well though. A friends is quiet by comparison. Is this an indication that the transfer case is dying?

Andrew Gilbert
360

It could mean it's just old or that is may be low on fluid. I've never worked on one, but loud whinning sounds aren't really a positive for any kind of gears.

ThoroldSidekick
35

If it get's quite in 4th, it's the Tranny. I had this problem 4th is straight thru so no pressure on the bearings