What would make 2H disappear in a the transfer case?

snake42787
275

Asked by snake42787 Sep 20, 2007 at 10:51 AM about the 1990 Suzuki Samurai 2 Dr JL 4WD Convertible

I had to pull one of my buddys out of the mud, funny stuff, he was buried to the frame, but anyways, what would make my 2H disappear? i pulled him out and had to pull him a ways before he could go on his own, the when we got out towards the road, so i shifted it back to 2H and was driving, it kicked out of 2H and i was wonedering wth? tried to put it back in and the transfer case acted there was never a spot were 2H was. It will go into 4H and 4L but now 2H.

Also after it did this, the front tires quit assisting in 4 wheel, the driveshaft is in one piece and intact.

any suggestions or help would be nice

dvigano
9,125

Hi snake42787, It sounds like your transfer case needs some attention. You may have stripped some gears that won't allow you to access the 2H any longer. Good luck!

Joe Tickle
45

I recon it sounds like your gears have collapsed mate, or a linkage has gone. Grab a used tranny box off ebay and you'll be right mate, dead easy to fit too!

Dustin Weisner
20

I had this same problem with both my Sammy's, remove the shifter and look at the bushing inside it. Most likely its worn itself to pieces, meaning the gear is stuck where it dissitegrated. Its a $20 fix and a afternoon