Do I need to pull the engine to replace oil pan on 2006 impala 3.9 v6

VolvoCE
120

Asked by VolvoCE Feb 08, 2013 at 07:40 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Impala LT

Matt Thibault
765

From what I understand, the engine can stay in the car, but if you're planning on doing the work in a driveway, I don't recommend it. You'll definitely want a hoist. It's a job better left to the pros, in my opinion...

VolvoCE
120

What does it take? I'm a heavy equipment mechanic. So I have the tools. I just don't see how to do it without pulling the engine

Matt Thibault
765

The engine does need to be lifted in the engine bay, but it doesn't have to be removed... You'll need to support the engine from the top.

Ilregal

I will try and get you a diagram that will help explain how it could be done, but it will take a minute as I am working on another project at the moment. Mostly that cross member is the problem off the top.

Ilregal

If you are mechanical go watch this and then take a look underneath at the oil pan and I think only the front of the oil pan is kind of blocked by a cross member, but this will give you some ideas, good luck, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YatjKuB8kBc

Ilregal

I can't find my info for anything impala wise that new, but here is a picture and where the blue arrow is should be where the cross member is that may need to be just loosened a bit in order to get the front of the oil pan down.

You think this is helpful.
Ilregal

click on pic to enlarge

Danny Wang
2,425

you may need a J 39505 Torque Wrench Adapter to remove side bolts that holds the oil pan that is adjacent to the transmission side, because of the tight clearance where a regular torque wrench or ratchet with a socket will be almost impossible to reach the side bolts.

Ilregal

Yep to that, but if you look back at the question person, they never came back and responded and it's been a week and the guy says he's a so called heavy equipment mechanic, well WTF, heavy also translates to light duty fairly easy. But Danny off the top of my head that does sound like the right socket, so I am responding for the guy who never came back, so it was basically a waste of my time seemingly to have even taken the time for this guy and answer his question for him. I should have picked up on the heavy equip. mechanic and not wasted me time.

VolvoCE
120

Thank you for your help. My wife took her car into a "lube shop" to get her oil changed and they stripped out the oil pan. I got the car up on blocks and decided not to pull the pan. Instead I drilled and tapped it for a larger plug. That fixed the leak, I made sure to run a lot of oil through the engine to flush the shavings. And sorry for the delay. I don't get online a lot

Ilregal

Thank you from all of us. I did sound rather insulting in my comment about you as in hind sight being this is often frustrating trying to help people with their car problems and more times than not, none of the guys get a simple thanks for trying, I now realize that some times it's not possible to return and comment as you did and I'm sorry for my insinuations. Thank you again as "Thanks" helps me anyhow want to continue spending the time to help others. I am really glad you didn't have to remove that pan and that was really smart and great thinking on your part and proves you are a great mechanic. Best to you..

Joe Bartlett
305

you have to let the cradle down a small amount to let the oil pan come down