Premium Fuel Required?

aurorakmw
0

Asked by aurorakmw Feb 07, 2008 at 12:15 AM about the 2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition Wagon

I am thinking of buying one of these wagons. My question is: Does this vehicle require premium fuel? Or is it just recommended?

Florian
45

In europe its recommended to use 95 octane fuel, it should be similar in us. premium fuel has 94 octane, regular fuel has 89. since modern cars have knock sensors, you should be able to run the car with regular, but with (noticeably) less power and higher fuel consumption. and it COULD still harm the engine. the subaru's engine has a compression of 10.7:1, so it would be advisable to use premium.

papa

regular will be fine.

Thierry Paquay
35

been using regular for 3.5 years. no problem whatsoever. I've used premium a few times and could not tell a difference.

David Smiles
0

I ran my WRX in the UK on Super Unleaded (98-102 octane) and when dyno'd it had an extra 20bhp at the top end over regular unleaded (95 octane). Any 200bhp+ Subaru likes high octane fuel - you only notice a difference after a few consecutive tankfuls - but as Super Unleaded is £5.60 a gallon (I think that's around $11), I've gone for something more economical now!! : )

Shane Hook
95

since that car is NA you can run reg in it with no issues. you will not get less MPG or hurt it. also, once you get it, you can look in the owners manual or in side the gas door Shane