What Engine is a direct swap without any troubles in my 2000 Subaru outback with 2.5 sohc

Chris England
90

Asked by Chris Feb 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM about the 2000 Subaru Outback Limited Wagon

Hey all... NEWBIE here... i have a 2000 Subaru outback limited with the 2.5 sohc... was on a trip last month about
200 miles from home and it started knocking... but i cannot find a 2.5 engine... SO what engine or engines is a
direct swap without any troubles and that i can use the same wiring from my 2.5... PLEASE HELP.???

Chris England
90

i have been looking on Ebay... But, really high mileage like mine i would hate to spend over 1000 bucks and have it installed and the same thing happen...

Chris England
90

Mine is a 2000 Subaru Legacy outback Limited wagon... 2.5

Chris England
90

i found a engine from a impreza 2.2 with 8000 miles on it... i was told this is a direct swap but i really don't know this is my First Subaru...

Chris England
90

This car was bought new by my Aunt... she drove the car untill 167.*** miles when i bought the car from her i had EVERYTHING serviced... even complete new timing kit with all the goodies including waterpump and these parts was not bought from your average flip flop parts house i bought these strait from Subaru and with all the servicing i had all new hoses and even a new oil pump... so with that said... i was driving the car when it started knocking so i will take the blame for the blowed engine in which i was on the interstate at 75 on cruise control... so all the servicing was done right after i bought the car and i drove it never had a problem untill 189.*** miles when it started knocking and in which i immediately pulled to the side of the road let it cool and it was full of oil and coolant...

Jeff Smith
1,115

Chris, I'm sorry to hear about your engine issues. Would you be swapping the engine yourself? Would you be confident to do head gaskets? If so, you could basically find any '98+ 2.5L short block and bolt that up to your existing heads and wiring. If you only want to swap the complete long block, you can use a 2000+ SOHC motor out of any Impreza, Forester, or Legacy up to 2005. Beyond that, the heads change a little again. A 2.2L motor will swap in, but that might be a little more work. Again, if you were to do this, you would want to find a 2000-2001 2.2L motor just to be sure that all the electronics line up properly, and you will likely have to swap cam and crank gears as well. And Bob, Subarus never ever had two timing belts. They've always had one. The basic EJ motor hasn't changed much since its inception in 1990 either.

Chris England
90

Thanks Jeff.!!! I would perfer a complete engine swap due to the mileage of the existing engine... the 2.5's are very hard to find in neck of the woods... have plenty 2.2's and that brings me back to my question... i was told that a 2.2 is a easy swap and is plug and go wiring... as stated this is my first SUBARU.!!! its been a awesome car... so i am looking for a plug and go option...lol if the 2.5 would be the simplest to drop in and go then thats the route i will take because i don't want to have to butcher my wiring or anything like that... Thanks for your Answer... anymore info will be greatly appreciated... O-and yes this would be a weekend project for me and my brothers...

Jeff Smith
1,115

Chris, No problem, sorry for the late reply. You can swap a phase 2 2.2 ('99+) into your Legacy with a few notes: 1) Make sure it's from an automatic and has EGR if your Outback has it, otherwise you'll always through a check engine code and you won't pass inspections near you if you have them. 2) You will need to swap the crank and cam gears from your old EJ25 over to the EJ22, as well as the sensors to be safe. One thing I would mention in going to the EJ22 is that while you will save some money and perhaps gain some reliability, you will definitely lose power.

7jimmy7
11,475

from what jeff found I would just wate for the same swap,and not go all out with other than a cleanup, and to hell with pumps belts ect, too much time fresh oil filter trans fluid and go and plugs while out also,keep your old for futere parts.saves plenty

Jeff Smith
1,115

The only real belt work here would be two accessory belts and the timing belt, all of which should probably be replaced if a used motor were purchased anyway.

7jimmy7
11,475

i guess then water pump if in their ,well if a nice car guess its worth it ,these newer cars are nerve racking

Chris England
90

Thanks Jeff and Jimmy for your Response... BUT, i got more news today that the best route togo would be a direct replacement with a 2.0L (EJ20)...was told everything would be plug and go... i am being told so much i dont know if its worth it or not...

Jeff Smith
1,115

Chris, there is no EJ20 that is a direct replacement for you. Whoever is telling you that is completely wrong, especially if they are talking about the WRX EJ20. Those motors require a complete harness merge as well as changing out other parts like the crossmember, exhaust, fuel pump, etc. I am preparing to tackle this with one of my cars, and it is a very involved project. An engine swap of the same SOHC EJ25 or EJ22 would be much easier.

7jimmy7
11,475

ok, NEXT!

Ahshad Hood
0

I got one for sale are you still intrested??

Michael Merrill
0

Ashad, I'm interested. whats your price/year/mileage and service records for it?

Jonathan Pych
0

while we are on the ej series on a 98 outback 2.5 dohc engine i snapped ahead bolt :/ my buddy grabbed a 05 2.5 sohc engine i didnt think it would work but its the same 2.5 ej. i swapped everything cam gears sensors are new i have a crank no start im beating my head agsinst the wall timing is dead nuts what am i missing?

Jonathan Pych
0

there's spark and fuel those are not an issue someone said possible ecm.. another question iac is humming is it normal?

Jeff Smith
1,115

Your 98 ECU and wiring harness are not compatible with the phase 2 (99+) engines. Your best bet of getting things working inexpensively would be to use the short block off the 05 EJ251 with the heads from your 98 EJ25D. Otherwise, you will need to merge the wiring harness from your Outback with that of the 05 car in order to run the 05 ECU to control that engine.

Rusty Beames
10

Actully the 84 and eirlier EA engines did have two timming belts.but if someone was pointing you in that direction do not listen to them at all lol.

Lucas Dawson
0

I have a 99 Subaru Impreza outback with a 2.2 can I swap for 2.5 directly using the same wires

Jeff Smith
1,115

You would also need to swap your cam and crank gears and sensors, but yes.

Jeff Smith
1,115

Provided it is a 99+ phase 2 EJ251. Personally, I'd stick with the EJ22, they're more reliable.

John Smith
0

I hope someone can answer me this question. I just bought a 98 Subaru outback ( legacy) and the family/friends had it checked before sale as check engine light was on. I drove it and it died. I had it towed to a mechanic who said that the last mechanic who worked on it did not change oil or started and stopped as it was only a check. Long story short a rod shot through the engine block. My mechanic was sure Subaru would handle it through there liability insurance but they are not making it easy, so to get to my point while I am waiting for them to do as they should I am going to put in another engine ( used with hopefully low mileage ) Anyway I am having a very difficult time figure out what years are compatible. It is a 2.5 but I know with some adjustments a 2.2 could work I am just not sure what years will work? I assume others than just 98. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Katherine. ( also low mileage to me is 170,000 or around there and was wondering about what I should be looking to pay, so i dont get ripped off) Thanks again, i hope someone out there can help.

Lucas Dawson
0

I have a 2.2 ej223 if i was to swap the motor out for 2.5 with the wires match or dose anyone know were i can get a used cylinder head for my motor

Jeff Smith
1,115

When swapping the motor, use the intake manifold, wiring, and cam sensors and gears to be completely sure. You would also need a dual port header the EJ251 cylinder heads. John, I can't quite follow what you're saying, but it sounds like you're expecting Subaru to fix a 16 year old car because someone neglected it and it was run out of oil? In any case, your car can run a phase 1 2.2, which would be a 93-98 EJ22. For a used motor, I wouldn't pay more than $400, especially if it didn't have a warranty.