What Engine is a direct swap without any troubles in my 2000 Subaru outback with 2.5 sohc

Chris England
250

Asked by Chris Feb 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM about the 2000 Subaru Outback Limited Wagon

Hey all... NEWBIE here... i have a 2000 Subaru outback limited with the 2.5 sohc... was on a trip last month about
200 miles from home and it started knocking... but i cannot find a 2.5 engine... SO what engine or engines is a
direct swap without any troubles and that i can use the same wiring from my 2.5... PLEASE HELP.???

Chris England
250

i have been looking on Ebay... But, really high mileage like mine i would hate to spend over 1000 bucks and have it installed and the same thing happen...

Chris England
250

Mine is a 2000 Subaru Legacy outback Limited wagon... 2.5

Chris England
250

i found a engine from a impreza 2.2 with 8000 miles on it... i was told this is a direct swap but i really don't know this is my First Subaru...

Chris England
250

This car was bought new by my Aunt... she drove the car untill 167.*** miles when i bought the car from her i had EVERYTHING serviced... even complete new timing kit with all the goodies including waterpump and these parts was not bought from your average flip flop parts house i bought these strait from Subaru and with all the servicing i had all new hoses and even a new oil pump... so with that said... i was driving the car when it started knocking so i will take the blame for the blowed engine in which i was on the interstate at 75 on cruise control... so all the servicing was done right after i bought the car and i drove it never had a problem untill 189.*** miles when it started knocking and in which i immediately pulled to the side of the road let it cool and it was full of oil and coolant...

Jeff Smith
1,735

Chris, I'm sorry to hear about your engine issues. Would you be swapping the engine yourself? Would you be confident to do head gaskets? If so, you could basically find any '98+ 2.5L short block and bolt that up to your existing heads and wiring. If you only want to swap the complete long block, you can use a 2000+ SOHC motor out of any Impreza, Forester, or Legacy up to 2005. Beyond that, the heads change a little again. A 2.2L motor will swap in, but that might be a little more work. Again, if you were to do this, you would want to find a 2000-2001 2.2L motor just to be sure that all the electronics line up properly, and you will likely have to swap cam and crank gears as well. And Bob, Subarus never ever had two timing belts. They've always had one. The basic EJ motor hasn't changed much since its inception in 1990 either.

Chris England
250

Thanks Jeff.!!! I would perfer a complete engine swap due to the mileage of the existing engine... the 2.5's are very hard to find in neck of the woods... have plenty 2.2's and that brings me back to my question... i was told that a 2.2 is a easy swap and is plug and go wiring... as stated this is my first SUBARU.!!! its been a awesome car... so i am looking for a plug and go option...lol if the 2.5 would be the simplest to drop in and go then thats the route i will take because i don't want to have to butcher my wiring or anything like that... Thanks for your Answer... anymore info will be greatly appreciated... O-and yes this would be a weekend project for me and my brothers...

Jeff Smith
1,735

Chris, No problem, sorry for the late reply. You can swap a phase 2 2.2 ('99+) into your Legacy with a few notes: 1) Make sure it's from an automatic and has EGR if your Outback has it, otherwise you'll always through a check engine code and you won't pass inspections near you if you have them. 2) You will need to swap the crank and cam gears from your old EJ25 over to the EJ22, as well as the sensors to be safe. One thing I would mention in going to the EJ22 is that while you will save some money and perhaps gain some reliability, you will definitely lose power.

7jimmy7
14,655

from what jeff found I would just wate for the same swap,and not go all out with other than a cleanup, and to hell with pumps belts ect, too much time fresh oil filter trans fluid and go and plugs while out also,keep your old for futere parts.saves plenty

Jeff Smith
1,735

The only real belt work here would be two accessory belts and the timing belt, all of which should probably be replaced if a used motor were purchased anyway.

7jimmy7
14,655

i guess then water pump if in their ,well if a nice car guess its worth it ,these newer cars are nerve racking

Chris England
250

Thanks Jeff and Jimmy for your Response... BUT, i got more news today that the best route togo would be a direct replacement with a 2.0L (EJ20)...was told everything would be plug and go... i am being told so much i dont know if its worth it or not...

Jeff Smith
1,735

Chris, there is no EJ20 that is a direct replacement for you. Whoever is telling you that is completely wrong, especially if they are talking about the WRX EJ20. Those motors require a complete harness merge as well as changing out other parts like the crossmember, exhaust, fuel pump, etc. I am preparing to tackle this with one of my cars, and it is a very involved project. An engine swap of the same SOHC EJ25 or EJ22 would be much easier.

7jimmy7
14,655

ok, NEXT!

Ahshad Hood
10

I got one for sale are you still intrested??

Michael Merrill
0

Ashad, I'm interested. whats your price/year/mileage and service records for it?

Jonathan Pych
0

while we are on the ej series on a 98 outback 2.5 dohc engine i snapped ahead bolt :/ my buddy grabbed a 05 2.5 sohc engine i didnt think it would work but its the same 2.5 ej. i swapped everything cam gears sensors are new i have a crank no start im beating my head agsinst the wall timing is dead nuts what am i missing?

Jonathan Pych
0

there's spark and fuel those are not an issue someone said possible ecm.. another question iac is humming is it normal?

Jeff Smith
1,735

Your 98 ECU and wiring harness are not compatible with the phase 2 (99+) engines. Your best bet of getting things working inexpensively would be to use the short block off the 05 EJ251 with the heads from your 98 EJ25D. Otherwise, you will need to merge the wiring harness from your Outback with that of the 05 car in order to run the 05 ECU to control that engine.

Rusty Beames
10

Actully the 84 and eirlier EA engines did have two timming belts.but if someone was pointing you in that direction do not listen to them at all lol.

Lucas Dawson
10

I have a 99 Subaru Impreza outback with a 2.2 can I swap for 2.5 directly using the same wires

Jeff Smith
1,735

You would also need to swap your cam and crank gears and sensors, but yes.

Jeff Smith
1,735

Provided it is a 99+ phase 2 EJ251. Personally, I'd stick with the EJ22, they're more reliable.

John Smith
0

I hope someone can answer me this question. I just bought a 98 Subaru outback ( legacy) and the family/friends had it checked before sale as check engine light was on. I drove it and it died. I had it towed to a mechanic who said that the last mechanic who worked on it did not change oil or started and stopped as it was only a check. Long story short a rod shot through the engine block. My mechanic was sure Subaru would handle it through there liability insurance but they are not making it easy, so to get to my point while I am waiting for them to do as they should I am going to put in another engine ( used with hopefully low mileage ) Anyway I am having a very difficult time figure out what years are compatible. It is a 2.5 but I know with some adjustments a 2.2 could work I am just not sure what years will work? I assume others than just 98. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Katherine. ( also low mileage to me is 170,000 or around there and was wondering about what I should be looking to pay, so i dont get ripped off) Thanks again, i hope someone out there can help.

Lucas Dawson
10

I have a 2.2 ej223 if i was to swap the motor out for 2.5 with the wires match or dose anyone know were i can get a used cylinder head for my motor

Jeff Smith
1,735

When swapping the motor, use the intake manifold, wiring, and cam sensors and gears to be completely sure. You would also need a dual port header the EJ251 cylinder heads. John, I can't quite follow what you're saying, but it sounds like you're expecting Subaru to fix a 16 year old car because someone neglected it and it was run out of oil? In any case, your car can run a phase 1 2.2, which would be a 93-98 EJ22. For a used motor, I wouldn't pay more than $400, especially if it didn't have a warranty.

ch0mp3r
10

my 1985 subaru dl has 2 timing belts

Ebear55
0

Jeff! You seem to have been through this before,Im looking to swap out a newer engine in our 99 outback.You said up to a 2005 shortblock would match up,Im a mechanic so can do all the work,will a later EJ25(?) dohc fit the 99 Outback if I just used the shortblock? I.E. could i match up my heads etc?THANKS for any help....Ebear

Markw1952
3,975

Have you considered just rebuilding your engine?

Darkshizuma
0

Ok, here's a good one for you.. I have a 2000 outback 2.5. Will a 02 6cyl fit/ bolt up (computer and w/h for both will be there) to mine. Or what would I need to do to get it too. I live in Ak and everyone has subi's, but the have like 5 shells in their back yard, so if they crash they just move the motor over, or they go for ~$1000 or better.

Darkshizuma
0

The shop said I threw a rod, and I've heard these motors have super tight clearances, is it possible I can rebuild it? Or is it basically scrambled eggs and I go with my above idea

subieroo
0

the person is right about the old engines with two timing belts that 1800 ohc was used in the gl and dl from 85 to 90 and the loyal until 93 I think I had three of those cars my brother had one regards david

Archbold
0

Balls

Archbold
0

On the serious side. I have a 2002 forester that needs motor. I hate to part it out. Because it is black with leather and sunroof. Nice car. Anyway, which motor is a direct swap. Just 2001 and 2002. Or can I use the short block from the earlier years. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Markw1952
3,975

Archbold, if you can find a 2010 EJ series engine, it's likely that it will work for you. You can call Subaru of America to verify, their number is 1-800-782-2783. They are very helpful and will answer your questions. By the way, the reason I'm suggesting this year is that this was the first year that Subaru changed their head gaskets to a multi layered design and previously they had some issues in the early 2000s. And, it's before they introduced the new FB series engine which has experienced some oil burning issues. So, you're getting the best of both worlds here, newer gasket design with the old tried and true EJ25 phase two that had been in production since the 1989. That engine had a long run and by the second phase they worked out a bunch of bugs. Too bad they changed it for the Forester in 2011 and ran into difficulty. Even if you paid a premium price to get a new one, it would still have less expensive than a new car. Good luck.

Anderman
20

I have an urgent question. I have and 06 turbocharged forester and my crank when bad. Got a another block froma 2000 forester. Can the block swap work without problems??

Asemitchell
0

I just got a 1998 dohc Forester. It is knocking loud. It's not smoking or running hot. Can I use an older sohc short block with my existing heads, FI, ect. ?

Asemitchell
0

OK, I just bought a 150k engine from a 1995 Impreza. Runs great The car is a rust bucket and has a strut tower through the cargo floor pan. I mentioned earlier my '98 Outback. The harness plugs look the same. I'm going to try a simple swap. I already have the '98 almost out but ran out of daylight. Going to finish it tomorrow.

Asemitchell
0

I got the sohc engine bolted in after work tonight. I ran out of daylight. Tomorrow I will install the radiator, hook up the throttle cable, fuel lines, heater hoses and plug in the harness. I hope it works.