I have a 1992 subaru loyal with 167000 miles on it the engine has a clicking noice on the right side but it comes on when the car its not wormed up. Does any one know what it could be?

Alanic
15

Asked by Alanic Jan 03, 2012 at 03:33 AM about the 1992 Subaru Loyale 4 Dr STD 4WD Wagon

Hi
I have a problem with my Subaru. The car some time makes a clicking noise some
were near the battery every time the car is in gear and its running. This only happens
every now and then when i dont wormed up the car before driving it. It comes and
goes but this time it started to get really bad. When the car makes the noise it gets
lauder every time i step on the gas and it doesn't let it accelerate as fast as it normally would. Does any boddy have any suggestions or has any boddy ran in to
any problems like this. The car has 167k and every thing is in main ace no oil leaks
or any thing.

Alanic
15

Well i found out that the oil pump its not putting any pressure. So im looking in to replacing the engine. Does any one recommended when the car has 167k? If so were could i find one for cheap?

Corey Lee
105

I had the same problem, the cliking sound is your hydraulic lifters not gettting enough oil. Just replace the oil pump. A new one is about $265 at the dealership and it's pretty easy do. If it is still cliking than you probly need to replace 1 or more of the hydraulic lifters they are about $60 each at the dealership and they are 2 for each cylinder.

Best Answer
Alanic
15

Thanks man i will look in to that. Do you know whats the best type of oil and gas for this not to happend again?

Alanic
15

Hey also do you know what engines fit that same model? Or what years i know is a 1.8 now.

Corey Lee
105

I run 10w30 Moble1 and I messed with my timing a little bit so know I used 92 octane or the engine will ping. :( I think most 1.8s (EA82) will work. but the they went from carbs, single port, to multi port fuel injection so the heads might be different. What a lot of guys are doing now is putting in the 2.2L in. There are a couple of different guys how make kits to mount up to your tranny for about $200, but you will need a cpu and wireing harness.

Ronald J Polesky
0

i had a a similar problem on a 90's sub loyale and it turned out i lost a nut off th exhaust and thats where the sound was coming from. now i have another ticking on the same side but it is a lot quieter and today it just died rolling down the road today. now ti turns over but will not start. havent looked at it yet but i dont have a good feeling about it.

Corey Lee
105

You're right, could just be an exhaust leak. The first thing I would check your car is the timing belts. There are a couple of circular rubber plugs on the front the engine on the timing cover. You could pull those off to see. Or take the cap off and turn the car over to see if the rotor spins. But this is only going tell you if the left one(on my car) is bad or not.

Dogbone
255

Sounds like the clicking you are hearing your A/C compressor cycling. When it is engaged, your car will indeed lose power as these motors don't have much horsepower to begin with. :o) Even more so if your compressor is low on coolant (means it's not getting lubed internally) or has worn bearings or another mechanal issue. There's a fuse on the passenger side of the engine compartment, sits up high all by itself. This fuse is for the A/C compressor. Try removing this fuse and see if that fixes your problem.