Any ideas about a '92 Subaru Loyale that will turn over but not fire (sometimes)?

scartheatre
0

Asked by scartheatre Jul 27, 2012 at 12:51 AM about the 1992 Subaru Loyale 4 Dr STD Wagon

I have a '92 Subaru Loyale with 176,000. About two months ago, it was turning over but not firing – I replaced the fuel pump with a new one and it worked again.

I'm experiencing a similar problem now. Last night, I attempted to start it and it turned over extremely slowly. After attempting to start it a few times and waiting ten minutes, I turned the key and it turned over extremely fast, eventually firing (I gave it some gas at this point to make sure that it stayed on after firing). It started perfectly 5 more times today, and then the same thing happened at the end of the evening – extremely slow turning over, then faster and faster after waiting a few minutes and turning the key until it turned over extremely fast. This time, it didn't fire on it's own; it only fired after I gave it gas. Any thoughts?

I'm wondering if the fuel pump was installed incorrectly or if there may be a problem that caused the past fuel pump problem and is now causing my new one to go out. The car also has known coolant and oil leakage problems, and the old inhibitor switch causes the engine to turn over after a key turn about 80% of the time (though this has never seemed to be a problem).

Thank you!

dynasg2009
1,125

Sounds just like your timing belt has jumped and your timing is way off. With the mileage on your car have you ever had the timing belt changed? Suggested timing miles for timing belt replacement is around 80,000. When you do I would recommend having the crank seal changed while it's disassembled.