Speedometer in '99 Legacy 2.2 stops intermittently, and my transmission "hunts"

Rickdog50
0

Asked by Rickdog50 Mar 23, 2010 at 09:49 AM about the 1999 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr Limited 30th Anniversary AWD Sedan

I have a '99 Legacy 30th Anniversary w/ 100K, that we bought from an old(er) lady who probably didn't notice this quirk. The speedometer stops working intermittently, and then starts working again. Also, the automatic transmission "hunts" from 3rd to 4th gear, sometimes downshifting and staying there until I release the accelerator pedal and press down again. My mileage sucks. Is this related to the speed sensors on the transmission?

Art Bartz
495

thats what I would guess, subarus often have strange shifting characteristics with any speed sensor problem, but the speedo tells me its the vehicle speed sensor, not a wheel speed sensor

Rickdog50
0

Thank you very much for your answer. It mades sense, and I'll try this simple fix this weekend. Much Appreciated, Rick

MOdriver
0

Where is the VSS 2 located on the 99 legacy 30th anniversary. I am having the same problem. Does the clip have color code