1999 Subaru legecy decelerates then stops.

Rosanne Lami

Asked by Rosanne Feb 05, 2013 at 02:38 PM about the 1999 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr L AWD Sedan

Just purchased for my 16 year old high miles well maintained subaru legecy, had fuel pump replaced 2 months
ago and it has a new battery. last night while my 16 was driving home, the car decelerated and then just stopped.
will not start. help!

It could be no spark - it could be no fuel. Spray some starting fluid in the intake to see if it has spark.

Rosanne Lami

It has fuel , but I certainly take your advice about the startong fluid in the intake. Thank you.

Rick Cormier

any light in the dash ? ,,, mine did that it was the timming belt it goes quiet then stop

ouch! if a belt goes you wont get to crank over without some noise,if a non clearance engine,rick may know if clearance or not ,sounds like your saying ,nothing gos! dead like a fuseable link, around battery harness wires

Derek Dilts

Are you sure it has fuel? Replacement fuel pumps have a fairly high failure rate. If it starts with starting fluid, it likely isn't getting fuel. When you turn the key to ON (without starting the car) can you hear a whining noise from the fuel tank area? If not, you fuel pump may be bad again. Ultimately it could be just about anything based on the given description. If the check engine light is on, get the codes read and post them for better advice.