98 Subaru Legacy L 2.2L automatic. Has lost acceleration power/fuel pressure while driving on the interstate and then cuts back in. Has also shut off while idling at stop w/wo A/C on.

zander777
5

Asked by zander777 Sep 16, 2013 at 01:49 PM about the 1998 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr L AWD Sedan

I have replaced battery terminals and checked battery and alternator they are good.
I replaced Spark Plugs about a month ago. The power steering pump does leak and I have a slow oil leak from the valve cover gaskets.

judge_roy

I would take a look at the operation of the fuel pressure regulator....the way the diaphragm allows more fuel, then collapses to a default location....perhaps the diaphragm was sucked in pieces through the vacuum line, partially obstructing the vacuum flow....I'd take a serious look at the fuel pressure regulator~

You think this is helpful.
judge_roy

always go with silicone replacement hoses will NOT degrade, cost about four times more....but worth it~

judge_roy

you should be able to cinch down each of the valve cover bolts a scoach~

Jeff Smith
1,485

If you're sure it's fuel pressure you're losing, the first thing I'd check and replace would be the fuel filter. Valve cover gaskets and the power steering pump shouldn't have anything do with that issue.