1996 Subaru Legacy Outback- hard to start- then runs great

Sheri Rose
45

Asked by Sheri Oct 26, 2013 at 11:43 PM about the 1996 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr Outback AWD Wagon

I just ought a 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback- 4 cyl. It's high in miles (240,000) but runs good ONCE I get it started. Put a new battery in as I kept running it down with this. This is not a cold weather problem. I have to flood it and it back fires and chugs then finally starts and runs/starts well all day until it sits over night again. I assume it has an electronic fuel pump and I do turn the key and leave it on for a bit but does not seem to help. I am having new rotors and brakes replaced next week and wondering what else may be needed for THIS problem besides a gas filter (and where is it located)? As a single woman I like to try to be "aware" before having work done on my vehicles. Thanks for any info!

judge_roy

https://www.google.com/#q=1996+subaru+legacy+intake+air+temperature+s ensor

Best Answer
Sheri Rose
45

Sounds like the problem- TY!!

judge_roy

I just typed a paragraph about your problem and the darned computer unapologetically DUMPED It...anyhow...I said reflect on the days when we had an exhaust manifold "stove kit" a diverter valve and a heat riser with a butterfly choke...well all this hardware is Gone because it is replaced by the intake air temperature sensor the block sensor and the computer making the right decisions under the prevailing conditions...

judge_roy

that guy looks a bit frisky...your dad? .....you're single....okay then~

Sheri Rose
45

Yes- I so agree on the older cars. I actually use to KNOW a car and how to fix a lot of stuff- I grew up with brothers and my dad always working on cars. These days- sensor this and vacuum that. I cannot find an AIT sensor anywhere online- just MAF sensors and they are sure over the top in price!! $200+! Please do not feel bad but the guy in the photo was my love of 10 years- he passed away with cancer in July. Thats the reason I am on here and I sure miss HIS mechanical knowledge! The pic is 10 + years old too- wish I still looked that good (and happy).