Average running engine temperature?

MysticTwilite
35

Asked by MysticTwilite Jun 15, 2008 at 02:38 AM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe

I would like to know what the average temperature my coupe should be running? Recently I developed a leak in the radiator and after getting it fixed, I find myself watching the coolant temperature more often. What would you say is normal for driving approx. 100 miles on a hot summer day (around 100 degrees or so)? I have noticed that it runs usually between 189 to 198. However, when I am stopped at a red light, etc. it goes as high as 210. Is this normal or did they not fix the problem??

papa

210,is ok,that is what todays cars run at,nothing to worry about.

Avaneesh Kakumani
65

normal temp is 60 to 80 Celcius......but on extremely hot days can go to 90 Celcius......

MysticTwilite
35

thank you both. I appreciate the help. I feel much better now.

Eric Davis
75

that is about what mine runs. your engine temperature is greatly affected by your speed (or lack there of) and how hard you are working it. the outside temperature doesn't affect it nearly as much as those other two factors. if you are at a stop there is not a s much air going through your car's radiator which prevents it from operating at full potential. and naturally if your floorin it at high rpm's the engine will be hotter then it probably enjoys.

DukeNukem2020
60

i have a 2008 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe and it ranges from 185 to 198 as well(today was a hot day, mid 80s). It went up to 205/207 in park. I was wondering the same thing. I thought my car was overheating(I'm used to seeing a "Needle", like on my '96 cavalier). Good thing I'm not the only one.

Joe Scott
85

anyone know at what temp the overheating light turns on at though?

VanMeter1
100

around 265

longr4
70

I owe a 2008 pontiac g5 love the car but noticed myself watching temp numbers and it got up to 250 then the coolant fan kicked on and cooled it down but my question is what is the normal when its sitting still and moving?

MichelleJohnathan
75

I too was facing similar problem with high temperature on my Seville some time back. Unfortunately the thermostat was kaput and I had to replace it with another one. Since then I have been more cautious with my cars and often refer to online maintenance and repair tips like these - http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/engine_repair_guide.html

Sherry Hurt Bent
20

Thank you mine ran up to 207 and I freaked. On my2006 chevy cobalt. But when I stopped and loosened the cap it was ok.

Hector Torres
20

I own a '06 chevy cobalt LT 2.2L NA motor. It fluctuate between 189 to 199. So I'm not sure if this normal, but there goes my in put as a cobalt owner.

Hector Torres
20

BTW I liver in FRESNO, CA and this reading is from the 2014 summer days when we have 3 digits numbers heat outside. Also I would like to include that my "recirculating" button is on only and not the a/c.

Colton Savage
0

When my cobalt was doing that I checked my hose going from the thermostat to the heater and it was leaking so I replaced it