Average running engine temperature?

Asked by MysticTwilite Jun 15, 2008 at 02:38 AM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe

I would like to know what the average temperature my coupe should be running? Recently I developed a leak in the radiator and after getting it fixed, I find myself watching the coolant temperature more often. What would you say is normal for driving approx. 100 miles on a hot summer day (around 100 degrees or so)? I have noticed that it runs usually between 189 to 198. However, when I am stopped at a red light, etc. it goes as high as 210. Is this normal or did they not fix the problem??

210,is ok,that is what todays cars run at,nothing to worry about.

Avaneesh Kakumani

normal temp is 60 to 80 Celcius......but on extremely hot days can go to 90 Celcius......

thank you both. I appreciate the help. I feel much better now.

Eric Davis

that is about what mine runs. your engine temperature is greatly affected by your speed (or lack there of) and how hard you are working it. the outside temperature doesn't affect it nearly as much as those other two factors. if you are at a stop there is not a s much air going through your car's radiator which prevents it from operating at full potential. and naturally if your floorin it at high rpm's the engine will be hotter then it probably enjoys.

i have a 2008 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe and it ranges from 185 to 198 as well(today was a hot day, mid 80s). It went up to 205/207 in park. I was wondering the same thing. I thought my car was overheating(I'm used to seeing a "Needle", like on my '96 cavalier). Good thing I'm not the only one.

Joe Scott

anyone know at what temp the overheating light turns on at though?

around 265

I owe a 2008 pontiac g5 love the car but noticed myself watching temp numbers and it got up to 250 then the coolant fan kicked on and cooled it down but my question is what is the normal when its sitting still and moving?

I too was facing similar problem with high temperature on my Seville some time back. Unfortunately the thermostat was kaput and I had to replace it with another one. Since then I have been more cautious with my cars and often refer to online maintenance and repair tips like these - http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/engine_repair_guide.html

Sherry Hurt Bent

Thank you mine ran up to 207 and I freaked. On my2006 chevy cobalt. But when I stopped and loosened the cap it was ok.

Hector Torres

I own a '06 chevy cobalt LT 2.2L NA motor. It fluctuate between 189 to 199. So I'm not sure if this normal, but there goes my in put as a cobalt owner.

Hector Torres

BTW I liver in FRESNO, CA and this reading is from the 2014 summer days when we have 3 digits numbers heat outside. Also I would like to include that my "recirculating" button is on only and not the a/c.

Colton Savage

When my cobalt was doing that I checked my hose going from the thermostat to the heater and it was leaking so I replaced it

So my CEL came on with the code P0128 Coolant thermostats ( Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature), so I replaced it. Before I replaced my coolant temp would stay around 189-192 F, but after replacing it, its now show 200-210F when I'm stopped, and 189-195F when im running. So I guess my question is, was my old thermostat giving me false reading, or did I jack everything up after I replaced it? P.S. I did put new coolant in after I replaced it, just in case you were wondering.

Yoshitaka Hikarushima

if your rpm is lower than 850, you get this kind of temperature, because your water pump circulation weren't strong enough...... slowly accelerate to 1000rpm during traffic congestion under hot day .....

Chris Duran

i have a 1999 cadillac deville now this morning it had a puddle of blueish fluid underneath the car on the passenger side any possibilities on what it might be so far ive checked the window washer fluid and power steering i cant seem to find where its leaking from any info is helpful thanks in advance---chris

Benedict Nyathi

I have a golf 4. I fitted a new radiator and suddenly the g12 coolent is overheating. is 90 a proper temperature?. http://www.victoriafallshotels.co