car running hot water pump and hermostat were changed but still running hot

dreadloc
0

Asked by dreadloc Jun 10, 2012 at 08:56 PM about the 1995 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

the temperature in normal driving conditions show temp at 240degrees constainly. I was told normal operating temp was supposed to be 195 - 210 . However  my engine temperature 20 to 30 degrees higher

68,435

The question has been raised before and the cooling fans don't kick on till about 226-228 deg without the air running!! Normal running temp would be around 195- 232 deg depending on thermostats and conditions!! Oh and there could be some variance in the temp gauge.

cobra1128
155

I Recently had same problem on my 96 vette, First of all try having the system flushed see if this fixes the problem. In my case it did not and I had to have radiator, thernostat, holding tank, water pump replaced and the thin rubber and metal tube by the radiator which GM or after market does not make a replacement part this had to be cleaned out with pipe cleaners and a drill which was very time consuming in labor cost and this corrected the problem. Hope this is helpful.

TonytheWoodsman
755

You could try running with out the thermostat, to see if it still gets hot.

Denis Sagendorf
325

YOU ARE GOING TO HATE ME, NEXT TIME YOU'RE IN THE CAR LOOK AT THE TEMP GUAGE. IS IT AT 0 OR IS IT AT 240? HEY THE PROBLEM COULD BE THE GUAGE ITSELF. I WAS TOLD. ALWAYS LOOK FOR THE SIMPLEST,STUPIDEST THING FIRST. THAT'S USUALLY IT. AND GOOD LUCK.

dudeage
10

Your temps are actually normal. The C4 cars ran hotter than people are used to; this was due to the way GM set them up for emissions reasons. The second cooling fan should come on at 230 if the AC is off and the car is stopped. If the AC is on the second fan will come on as well. As long as you don't get much above 230 you're fine. You can drop in a 160 degree thermostat to drop them temps and have the fan to come on at a lower temp if the high temps bother you.

califcarson
2,055

Tonythewoodsman, if you remove the thermostat, the car will run hot. Water runs unrestricted through the radiator and does not have enough time to cool down in the radiator. Just stay under the tree and work on your cars.