Has anyone had this problem or knows why the battery dyes after 96 corvette sits 4 days or so.

cobra1128
185

Asked by cobra1128 Dec 22, 2007 at 05:19 AM about the 1996 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

I have replaced battery twice since purchasing car in Feb 2007 and its dead again. I put battery charger on it with a 50 amp booster and it sarts in about 1 to 2 minutes. I had charging system checked they said its working properly. I had lo-jack checked they said thats working properly, but yet something is drawing on the battery. I also tryed removing fuses and leaving them out for a week from items that may draw power continuously like the radio for the clock, etc. Any help or info will be much appreciated.

papa

you have a power source staying hot has raido been changed or anything adedto car until found just unhook neg battery cable then it will stay charged,

25,795

Check to see also if there is a short in the actual positive battery cable where it might rub against the frame or have contacted something hot. It could be as bad as a 1/4" rub somewhere in a wiring harness -- saw that happen with a Chrysler product, caused all kinds of problems. Suggest having this gone over by a Chevy dealer with a good reputation, or a local mechanic who specializes in electrical problems. Sounds to me like a wire is grounding out somewhere.

russ87vet
75

littlehorn has a valid thought there and sometimes it is something that is not turned off and still drains the battery as in some memory devices and sound systems. if you are going to let the car sit for extended periods the easiest solution if to put in one of those battery disconnect switches on the battery and flip the switch when you park it. very economical and easy to install and saves batteries. also has a jumper wire that will maintain the memory computer so you don't lose your settings in newer models. I have one on my 1987 Corvette and although I drive it daily, if I go away for a few days I flip the switch and forget about it.

Best Answer
cobra1128
185

Thank you for your response I have ordered a cutoff switch for this problem hopefully it will work.

califcarson
3,465

Check for corrosion on the battery cables. If they are not clean, they may not let enough juice to the battery to keep it recharging after it starts. If you have a mechanical amp meter, does it zero out when off or go to the negative side. If it is past zero amp draw, you do have a short in your positive wire side somewhere. This is not a sure sign, but just one to check. A good garage that worked on electrical problems will always check this first, next will be the connections to the battery. Does you amp meter show high draw when driving after a fresh star-up? This will show a battery has been drawn down when sitting and is now charging. Electrical problems are simple but a lot of hair is pulled fixing them.

brucej455
345

4 days is a bit much . However 93 - 96 has a security drain when sitting but a battery tender should keep the Batt charged. My own 93 takes about 2 weeks to drain Batt but with a tender op it have not had a problem since. Have owned it since "95"