Headlight dimmer switch

cobra1128
155

Asked by cobra1128 Nov 06, 2012 at 08:30 AM about the 1996 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

My 96 corvette coupe high beams will not come on. The turn signal arm just moves back and forth easily, everything else works, wipers, turn signals, and cruise. I unscrewed the tilt handle and removed the plastic cover and a odd looking piece of plastic fell out. I assume it came from the dimmer switch. How difficult is it to change this or should I take it to a repair shop.

Denis Sagendorf
325

YOU SAY THE "TILT HANDLE". DO YOU HAVE TILT STEERING? I'M JUST ASKING. BECAUSE IT WOULDN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE DIMMER SWITCH. AM CURIOUS ABOUT THAT "ODD" LOOKING PIECE OF PLASTIC. YOU MIGHT TRY A CHILTON'S MANUAL. GOOD LUCK

cobra1128
155

Thanks Denis, Yes corvettes have tilt steering so I unscrewed and removed the tilt handle so I could take off the housing behind the turn signal arm to expose inner workings and this is where the piece of broken plastic fell out. I assume it came from the plastic part of the dimmer switch. I guess like people as we get older and used frequently we fall apart. I ordered the switch and the picture of it is plastic and metal with 2 mounting holes and teminal where wires connect, I am just curious if this is all I have to remove or is it more entailed. Anyone with an answer to this please let me know.