I want to know if the corvette I am intending to purchase is a good deal.

pauljay
65

Asked by pauljay Aug 31, 2012 at 08:50 AM about the 1994 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

I have never owned a corvette before but now have the opportunity to purchase a mint condition, automatic 1994 coupe from a private party.  The car has always been garage-kept and has never seen rain or snow.  Although the car only has 2400 miles, I am somewhat concerned because everything is original except the battery, and I am worried about the condition of the rubber parts (tires, hoses, belts, etc) and the fluids, (which have never been changed except for the oil) because the car is 18 years old.  Has time degraded the condition of these parts and others that are not so easily visible?  Has there been any internal damage because everything is original?  What should I look for before deciding to purchase or not?  Having so few miles on it may actually be a problem and not a blessing!  What do you think?  Anyway, the seller wants $15,000, which I believe to be a bit too much.  What would be a reasonable offer?  What else should I be aware of before I buy?
Any guidance you can provide would be much appreciated.  Thanks!
Paul

89,775

Paul, I do understand your concerns, and most people would. It sounds like you are not a mechanic and it would be hard to look at everything. What I would do is ask the seller nicely that you want a mechanic to inspect it before you purchased it. See if you can find a local mechanic that specializes in Vettes or older cars. Look at www.nada.com for a price, and check ebaymotors for what others are selling for, not asking price.

Rubie
785

You could have stumbled on an awesome car, but the owner should have changed the oil and flushed the radiator at regular intervals just to keep the car in tip top condition. That being said, it still might be a no problem car. You need to have all the fluids changed and checked by a mechanic before you buy the car. Ask the owner for the maintenance records, and have the mechanic review them. Then, if the car is in tip top condition, and you love it, buy it.