problems with the 6 speed clutch master cylinder and slave

51yankees
25

Asked by 51yankees Jul 20, 2007 at 08:45 PM about the 1994 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

i have this model year and continue to have problems of leaking in the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder. i have had to replace it 3 times in 5,000 miles and it is now leaking again. are there any recalls or information you have that might help me with this situation?

dvigano
8,695

Hi 51yankees, I have not been able to find any Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) related to your issue. However, if you have been doing the work yourself you may want to hand it over to a mechanic before you have an accident on the road. Additionally, if you purchased rebuilt parts in the passed, you may want to try a new master cylinder and/or slave as you may be getting faulty parts. The key to performing this replacement is in bleeding the system. I hope this helps. Thanks for your patronage at CarGurus.com.

zo6man
0

I have 2007 corvette, about 5200 miles. The clutch master cyclinder went out. Dealership claims warrenty is out and will cost $1200.00 to fix. The car is garage, climate control kept and has be in the rain maybe four times. With all the posts on the internet this is definitely a GM product problem. No way this defective clutch assembly should be the responsibility of the owner. I love corvettes and American Muscle but this will be the last one I purchase if GM doesn't make it right

zo6man
0

Just letting you know the outcome of my 2007 corvette with 5200 miles and defective clutch master cyclinder: After no help from dealership,I called GM, and called GM, and called GM...... After, 6 days, three agents they decided to split the cost with me. While this was taking place the GM dealership called daily, stating " Can't do anything for you but if you pay the $1200.00 I can get it back to you today. To make a long story short my final bill was $251.31!! While my warranty was out it was declared "warrenty time found internal failure in clutch master cyclinder". It seems to me that GM is aware of the problem, along with the dealerships, but are unwilling to do anything until you make a big stink out of it. The dealership's service dept. really left a bad taste in my mouth, and won't be taking my car back there. As for GM, well if I wasn't very, very persistant I would have spent $1200.00! Moral of the story, don't act spontaneously, go through the channels and speak your case.!

Joe Finis Sr.
735

Glad it worked out for you, but newsflash; ALL manufacturers are going to give you a runaround on any repairs you bring in after the warranty expires, and sometimes even during. Sad but you have to make a stink to get anything achieved, point is GM is no better or worse than any of the others...

papa

07-5,200 miles.has set more than driven.cant blame this on GM.dry rot on rubber parts,this problem was brought on you by yourself.its not good to let a vehicle set,climate control or not.not takeing up for GM,Im a FORD person.And not trying to be a smart a$$ eather.this is just fact.

zo6man
0

I understand what you are saying, but that clutch master cylinder in those cars, just by researching on the internet and talking to mehanics, indicates a problem. Nothing was ever mentioned during scheduled maintenace visits about changing the fluid, or there could be a problem if left setting in the owners manuals. These cars are not driven daily usually so the problem is inherit. The fact that the dealership tried to scam me out of $1200.00 was probably the worst part. That repair should cost no more than $600.00. GM needs to admit there is a problem and at the very least make customers aware of it. Just go to a BMW or Infinity dealership with a similar problem and see what happens. They'll take that negative experience and make it an opportunity to win a customer. If GM did nothing that vette would have been my last GM product!