Clicking or Poping noise after making right turn

hilts
30

Asked by hilts Mar 13, 2011 at 04:18 PM about the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

I got checked with some mechanics, just could not find out why. It is coming out from the front driver side of the wheel of something. It does not happen all time. Would it be the suspension or something wrong?

zoneman
545

It sounds like you may have a cv joint going bad.

hilts
30

will it be something wrong with struts and mounts? i got the cv joint checked, i were told that they are ok.

zoneman
545

I really doubt a problem w/struts etc. What about the axle bearing assembly, it could be going bad, as in one or more of the rollers have collapsed. Long distance diagnosis is pretty damn difficult but that bearing problem is a posibility. Also in that condition (some of the bearing collapsed) it would not always make a noise BUT, it will get progressivley worse. Keep me informed as to what your mechanic finds, as I am still learning after all these years. Good luck with it!!!!!!!

Casey Davis
135

same thing happened to mine i went out and bought to new cv axles and i turned and it still clicked, then someone told me it was my wheel bearing assmbly so im having mine put it soon and i will let you know if the clicking stops.

hilts
30

it turned out to be the struct. i just got the struct mount replaced, so far the noise is kinda gone "forever" but there is another "common" problem-- the squealing noise of the belt at the start up time of my car. it just lasts for a few minutes until the car is warm up. the belt is kinda new, the old one was replaced last december. anything can solve this once and for all?

zoneman
545

If the belt is in good shape you may very well have a belt tensioner that has lost some of its "spring tension". Also check the alignment of the alternator, power steering, AC compressor, etc. and make sure that all the pulleys are clean. Good luck with it, squealing belts are very disturbing. You mention that this belt is newer, are you sure it's the correct belt for the application?

Jeff Leeper

cv joint or wheel hub bearing or the spindle nut is loose.

hilts
30

it seems that all problems are solved, the squealing noise caused by the poor pulley condition. thank you very much for all your efforts u did.

hilts
30

right i have got it fixed. thank you`~

Casey Davis
135

So what was the problem?? mine is still doing it.

Collin Crosier
80

^^^ idk you, obviously you have popping/clicking when turning right at a decent speed or when accelerating... I had the same problem... its the starter I promise.. Actually, I GAURANTEE that's what's wrong with your grand prix

atif85
40

i have Buick regal 1999 does clacking noise when making RIGHT TURN replaced cv axle, inner/outer tie rod and wheel hub but that noise aren't !!! is anyone knows ???? Please....

Collin Crosier
80

Its the starter I'm tellin you...

Scooby2000
20

I had a Chevy Malibu 2002 with the same problem making Right Turns. I replaced both axles, outer tie rods, and steering rack. I also replaced the struts. None of that solved the noise. I bought a wheel hub, but haven't gotten around to installing it. Fortunately the various parts shown signs of rare and the car definately steers better and the play in the steering is gone. Recently the starter solenoid started acting so I replaced the starter! The noise is finally gone!

jimnovack
0

check out the starter some times the noise comes from there on right turns only the spring on the starter is not stronge enough to holed the gear and the gear sides and hits the flywheel

Joker72315
0

Well I changed both wheel bearings and cv axle on my 2003 Pontiac grand prix and when I accelerate or make a right hand turn it makes a thumping or popping sound and has alittle vibration that seems to be coming from the passenger front side. I replaced the tie rod on that side and it still does it anyone have an ideal what it is please tell me it's driving me crazy...ty

Scooby2000
20

Have you removed your starter motor and tilt the starter from side to side to see if the gear is easily sliding back and forth? My 2002 Chevy Malibu had the clicking sound on right turns and it turns out that the gear was sliding into the flywheel on right hand turns. Kind of sounded like I had a card in a bike spoke. Quite annoying. In my case the starter solenoid started acting up so I replaced the starter and solved the other problem as well in the process.