Dash cuts out and service lights come on dic

Christo Burnham
0

Asked by Christo Feb 12, 2014 at 04:13 AM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

For the past while my car has been starting to  act up.  After driving for awhile the dash
will die and the dic will pop up service stability system, service anti lock brakes and so
forth.  the radio will turn off as well.  Sometimes after awhile the speedo will turn back on
but the rest of the dash won't work.  Sometimes it'll pop up and say charging system
failure but that is very rare.

Norm Davis
2,465

I'm guessing that you already checked the DIC fuse and dash fuse to make sure they are tight. The DIC will light anytime it senses an issue with the data feed to it. You might just have a loose dash cluster connector or a loose DIC harness. Try jiggling some of the harnesses under the dash when the car is running normally and see if you can get the DIC to light with the same symptoms.

Christo Burnham
0

I've checked both of those when the problem first started to arrise. Nothing happens. So new update. On another board it was mentioned that maybe the alt was bad and they wanted to know what it was charging at so I went out to crank it and it wont crank. turn the key and the lights come on but dash is pretty much dead, dic dead, radio dead engine light comes on as it normally would when you first turn key to on position but that's all it'll do. Turn the key to crank and nothing no click nothing. hooked a jump box to battery just to be sure it wasn't that and still same. Headlights and interior lights are bright as can be with or without jump box so battery seems fully charged. Hooked my scanner to it and it won't communicate with the car.

Norm Davis
2,465

You can rule out battery and alternator. Sounds very much like a prob with ignition harness or ign switch. But again, a loose dash cluster harness or loose DIC harness can cause the same symptoms. Intermittent electrical problems can be a chore to track down. Time for a voltage tester, start with the ignition hot lead and work your way thru the harness with the key off, key on, and key in start position. You can find the wiring diagram on line along with the voltage you should be reading at each component.

mrmacflyhimself
20

hey im having the same problem but mines wont start also it did some days but idk im ready to give up. did you find the issue please let me know? thanks

Christo Burnham
0

No I'm still trying to figure it out. I've replaced the ignition switch and it did great for awhile then one day it started back. Think I'm just gonna trade it in and be done with it.

mrmacflyhimself
20

Thanks I was really hoping you came up with something man. Im going through hell with this car and I loved it. I was told to just take it to the GM dealer and let them sort it out but I own it and can see them charging and arm, leg and tooth for it.

Christo Burnham
0

I thought about that but they wanted a couple hundred just to hook a computer up to it.. who knows what after that.

mrmacflyhimself
20

No fn way... -_-

Christo Burnham
0

Yup. Have had a few other problems i don't know if they are associated with the big problem. Way back before this started i've had problems with my cruise control. When driving i'd hit the set button and it engage then immediately disengage. it'd do this a number of times before finally holding. Also sometimes when i open the door the radio doesn't turn off like it's supposed to .. I can shut the door and open it and it'll work. it's weird. Does yours do any of these things??

mrmacflyhimself
20

No. Honestly I blamed it on a little water getting in through an area located on the passenger side of the windshield down past the blower motor and resting in the foot area of the passenger cabin. A small portion of the wiring harness was barely wet but my mechanics both said that wasnt the issue.. mines has all of your problems but also would srart on some days and not on others. Now its just stationary.

Christo Burnham
0

Wow same exact thing happened to mine. That rubber fell off and water poured down through the cabin air filter and flooded the floor board of my front and rear passenger seat. It was a while before this problem however so I dunno if affected anything or not.

KhrisBlu
0

so are these Buick Lucernes cars any good? I'll be done had mines for a year, none of those issues yet but I've seen many complaints. Do I need to save me some time and money and just trade it in? I've already spent 2500 on tune up oil change and two tie rods ends sensors and an alignment. Plus a radiator and 2 new batteries. Does the future holds more money for me to spend into this car???? Please help.

mrmacflyhimself
20

Idk much about those but buick is my 2nd fav2 brand and honestly other than those pesky power steering pumps whinning for nothing I love them honestly. As for the author of this forum hey bud UPDATE I took the vehicle to my local chevy dealership and viola! They fixed it man in about 2 days (not counting the weekend) I needed a new harness on my passenger side mine got corroded wiring behind the firewall somehow and he found it and replaced it and wham bam im back doing spinouts lol thanks for the responses I figured id give u a hoot.

Best Answer
Christo Burnham
0

Hey man that sounds great. I'll have to check that out!!! How much did the repair cost ya???

mrmacflyhimself
20

$576.00 exactly. The dyno price was factored into the price and I didnt even have to really pay that $108.00 that its was anyway I just told them how discouraged I was about all the horror stories of the dealerships prices and he basically asked me "how much did I spend on it already," I let him know it was close to 1500 bucks and he said he was gonna help me out idk if that price is a helpout price but that was VERY reasonable for the work. My airbag needs a sensor module tho bc the light is on so I do have to get that changed but overall.. #check

angrygpman
0

Thank GOD I found this, mine has been doing the same exact thing. Do you know exactly what harness they replaced? Been at this for awhile now & I'm at the end of my rope along with my wallet with this car. Ready to pull the gun out & treat it like one of those old bugs bunny cartoons. Thanks for any added help!.

mrmacflyhimself
20

The one on the passenger side under the seat. The dealership will know which one it is.

angrygpman
0

Thank you so much!!!!