Dash cuts out and service lights come on dic

Christo Burnham
0

Asked by Christo Feb 12, 2014 at 04:13 AM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

For the past while my car has been starting to  act up.  After driving for awhile the dash
will die and the dic will pop up service stability system, service anti lock brakes and so
forth.  the radio will turn off as well.  Sometimes after awhile the speedo will turn back on
but the rest of the dash won't work.  Sometimes it'll pop up and say charging system
failure but that is very rare.

Norm Davis
1,305

I'm guessing that you already checked the DIC fuse and dash fuse to make sure they are tight. The DIC will light anytime it senses an issue with the data feed to it. You might just have a loose dash cluster connector or a loose DIC harness. Try jiggling some of the harnesses under the dash when the car is running normally and see if you can get the DIC to light with the same symptoms.

Christo Burnham
0

I've checked both of those when the problem first started to arrise. Nothing happens. So new update. On another board it was mentioned that maybe the alt was bad and they wanted to know what it was charging at so I went out to crank it and it wont crank. turn the key and the lights come on but dash is pretty much dead, dic dead, radio dead engine light comes on as it normally would when you first turn key to on position but that's all it'll do. Turn the key to crank and nothing no click nothing. hooked a jump box to battery just to be sure it wasn't that and still same. Headlights and interior lights are bright as can be with or without jump box so battery seems fully charged. Hooked my scanner to it and it won't communicate with the car.

Norm Davis
1,305

You can rule out battery and alternator. Sounds very much like a prob with ignition harness or ign switch. But again, a loose dash cluster harness or loose DIC harness can cause the same symptoms. Intermittent electrical problems can be a chore to track down. Time for a voltage tester, start with the ignition hot lead and work your way thru the harness with the key off, key on, and key in start position. You can find the wiring diagram on line along with the voltage you should be reading at each component.