does the axle shaft( I beleive it is the intermediate shaft that goes all the way into the transmission, not the CV axle part) need a retaining clip on it ?

nebocreek
0

Asked by nebocreek Mar 15, 2013 at 12:24 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

Pulling out the CV axle assembly on 2000 Pontiac gp and the entire axle assembly from inside the transmission came out with the CV assembly. :Looked like the axle shaft from inside the trans should have a retainer clip to hold it in place. It must of popped off--or was there one there before?

49,595

They axles have sort of spring detent and they pop out of the transmission if you pull hard enough.

nebocreek
0

do I need to put a new retainer clip on the end of the axle that is in the differential ?

49,595

No new clip that I'm aware of. Try pushing it back in and pull on it a little. You might feel it snap into place. -- It's been quite a while since I removed an axle but that how I remember it.