1998 grand prix 3.8 sc. Car will start but dies after 3 to 5 seconds. Any help?

spanky18
40

Asked by spanky18 Dec 15, 2008 at 05:21 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 Dr GTP Supercharged Sedan

Adam Morgan
5,555

Hmm... Is it throwing any codes? Can you give a better description of what happens when you try to start? Does it crank and only putter a bit? Does it start, but not hold idle on its own?

spanky18
40

no ses light. will start every time. replaced fuel filter, fuel pressure reg. and fuel pump

Adam Morgan
5,555

Hmm... First off you shouldn't go around replacing parts without diagnosing first, a fuel pressure tester would have kept you from spending that money...(Sounds like I'm scolding you but that's not the intent, I'm not the best with words... I'm just trying to say the shotgun method gets expensive) Secondly, this is a hard one to attempt to diagnose over the net... The fact that it starts at almost rules out a compression issue, and drastically reduces the possibility of ignition issues. I'd lean towards some security or safety system keeping the engine from running. A passive scan of sensors would be helpful but most don't have a laptop setup to do that lying around, so I hate to admit it, but I'd recommend having it towed to a shop. If you have a multimeter, have someone start the car and tell me what happens to the system voltage (If it drops to zero you may have bad connection being jiggled loose by the engine vibration... It's a slim chance but that's about all I got right now) (If I remember many GM's in the mid to late 90s will do a similar thing if they have a bad sensor (I want to say a crank position sensor) but I'd expect it to throw a code then)

spanky18
40

i replaced these parts after talking to my mechanic at work. believe me, i didn't want to spend $300on a fuel pump. thanks

Michael McGrail
7,005

I would check the vacuum lines running across the top of the supercharger and the one coming off the throttle body. I had a similar problem where the car would start, but was running so rough that it would die after only a couple seconds. There is a adapter piece that converts the smaller vacuum line to the larger one that broke on mine. Gave no warning when it happened. I drove home, parked in the driveway, went to leave like 10 min later and it would not start. Other things that would prevent it from running.... - Ignition module went out - Crank position sensor went out - Fuel pressure regulator went out (NOTE: this is vacuum controlled on your vehicle) - ECM went out Just to name a few........

Cameron Klenk
125

would any kind of bad MAF be causing this? ..:cAm:..

Bobby Smith
35

that was my thought to camron i know ford rangers are bad about pieces of the foam rubber hose covering around the air cleaner box getting in to the box and being sucked up into the maf and it will not run try to unplug the maf and see if it will run (should run but will run like shit) if it does take maf off and check to see if there is ne type of trash hung in it if u can get it out do so and it will be fine if not replace the maf

Cameron Klenk
125

actually....i forgot GTP's have a very common problem and that is the Fuel Pump resistor going bad. I would look into that for sure! ..:cAm:..

Cameron Klenk
125

To cheaply fix the fuel pump resister, ff you bend the tab you will put the fuel pump in high mode all the time. Its tab 5 on the fuel pump relay there are two of them but its the fuel pump relay closest to the pass fender. Bend tab 5 out and stick it back in. It should run as soon as you do that. Let me know if this helps. Or you can go and buy a whole new one on PFYC.com for like 30 bucks. It is up to you. ..:cAm:..

mikeb620039
15

im not sure how it occured as it is not my car but have you had a new key made to your car recently i have a 2000 gtp and got an extra key made and when i use that key my car does the same thing its starts but dies before you can do anything i know it sounds weird but it took about an hour to figure out

Alex Walker
145

I can almost guarantee it is the VATS security system... They are a common problem... Call your dealer with the VIN of your car and have a new key made and it will be good again. Sometimes the magnet in the key doesnt register with the car anymore.

spanky18
40

Fuel pump resistor. Thanks to all.

bluedemon88
165

im also dealing with the same issues with my 1999 GTP. It starts, doesnt idle and dies after a few seconds; ive had my fuel pump changed but it is still like this. What else can be wrong with my car?? someone told me a Purge Valve but i dont know what that is...

Michael McGrail
7,005

Please read my comment above

tleearley
35

Ok, how about fuel filter, not fuel pump.

1999GTPin13s
70

MASS AIR FLOW sensor check it out..same happend to my brother grand prix and my GTP bout a yr ago...ne added info? throw ne codes anything happening odd besides it shuttn off? sounds stutters lights flicker? check battery terminals..alternator cable..spark plugs and wires..if its voltage issues go 4 a simple voltage booster, fuel pump rewire, or alternator volt booster...all r affordable zzperformance.com under 20 voltage booster..75 for fuel pump and roughly 15-25 for alternator cable....also chk pfyc.com 3800performance.com 1aauto.com compares prices c wat works.

1999GTPin13s
70

like i said a MAF sensor goes..it does not throw a code..its a mystery if u dont kno how to fig it out...i have a 99 gtp myself..brother has 1 neighbor has 2 both r mechanics n both built my car. hope all the info helps good luck

bluedemon88
165

Well i am gettting the Fuel Resistor Relay changed today, hopefully that'll work.. otherwise it has to be the fuel pump resistor. i will let you know.

Stephen Counihan
45

Might wanna check the crank position sensor too...

bluedemon88
165

i had the fuel pump relay changed, the car runs now, but it still stalls after a short while.. what else is wrong???

bluedemon88
165

okay so i had all the same repairs done to my car as said above.. Where can i find a diagram of where to find the Fuel Pump Resistor on my 99 Grand Prix GTP. I swear if i had the strength i would be fixing my car myself.. Mechanic tells me its my fuel pump because theres no pressure.. lol i told him haha i already had that changed, so its not that...

bluedemon88
165

IT WAS THE FUEL PUMP RESISTOR, and the fuel pump pipes were connected wrong.. Thanks to all, you guys are the best!!! If i wasnt a secretary i'd be a MECHANIC ;) ;)

joeway80
30

i have a 98 grand prix and when u unhook the vacum line that goes from the throttle body to the fuel regulator it idles rough but when u hook it back up to the throttle body it dies i was told to check fuel pressure any ideas

CRAZYC
300

88951182 RESISTOR KIT. Fuel Pump RESISTOR KIT,F/PMP (ALSO USE T/W 12345382 COMPOUND). Required: 01 For: W 3.8-1(L67) (1997-2000) (1997 - 1997).

Gforcegene
50

Idle sensor control or throttle body needs replaced.

riffe
20

I have a 97 pontiac grand prix 3800 supercharged. It will not throw any spark. Changed the crank sensor, ignition moduaal, harmonic balancer, and the wire that runs from the fuse box to the battery. Brand new water pump.

bharris4416
40

Have a 1998 Pontiac Bonneville, and the car will start up and run for a long time at idle, but as soon as you start drving for a little bit, it will die. Then when you try starting it back up it doesnt want to start up right away. You can eventually get it to restart back up but it takes awhile, not running any codes either. Any ideas?

Kristina Alvarado
30

Starts but die's,? Has fuel, and when you pushon the gas it die's faster.

mbennewitz1108
80

I have a 97 pontiac Grand Prix GTP supercharged 3.8 and it starts fine and about 10 sec after it starts it starts to die like it ran out of gas, I have changed the fuel pump and filter and the pressure gag is right about 49-50 and then it starts to drop quickly (40,30,15, 5) and then it dies... I dont know what else to try to fix, can anyone help me please

Adam Pell
0

Had the same issue with my 97 gtp Supercharged....the cause was a broken wire in fuel pump ground circuit 85.....I inspected for fule pressure 0 psi. Tested fuel pump relay fuse for power it has power. Continued diag of fule pump circuit located fuel pump resistor amd inspected for voltage and ground no ground locate fuel pump connector and inspect for ground 851, open circuit.found broken wiring inside fuel pump to body harness. Repaired wiring reasembled and it started right up and ran fine......  I hope this helps with you car enjoy

Adam Pell
0

Had the same issue with my 97 gtp Supercharged it would start but die after a few seconds ...the cause was a broken wire in fuel pump ground circuit 851.....I inspected for fule pressure 0 psi. Tested fuel pump relay fuse for power it has power. Continued diag of fule pump circuit located fuel pump resistor amd inspected for voltage and ground no ground locate fuel pump connector and inspect for ground 851, open circuit.found broken wiring inside fuel pump to body harness. Repaired wiring reasembled and it started right up and ran fine......  I hope this helps with your car enjoy