my 97 GTP wont stay running

snowman1969
10

Asked by snowman1969 Nov 01, 2010 at 12:34 AM about the 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 Dr GTP Supercharged Coupe

My car won't stay running. When i start the car, it runs for about 3 seconds then sputters and dies. I have changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, new plugs and wires, new maf and switched the resistors in the fuse box. What next?

Jason Zane
2,875

ignition wires need checking from under the dash to the steering column. no trouble codes?

Riccardo Bartolomeo
315

Check the ignition key.If it has PK3 on the "shank" then you"ll have to make sure the key is still programmed to your car.The key has a chip in the head.If this is the case a GM dealer can program the key.

snowman1969
10

The problem was a resistor. In the fuse panel under the hood there are 2 resistors for the fuel. switch them between each other and if that doesn't work, behind the fuse panel is 2 more resistors. On my car it was the 2 resistors behind that caused the problem.

Riccardo Bartolomeo
315

Good to know.Thanks for the info.

papa

check resitors in fuse box,should be 2 of them,one or both has to do with fuel supply.

leca
10

probably need to change mass air flow sensor thats what my 1997 grand prix did & i had to replace that sensor

CRAZYC
230

88951182 RESISTOR KIT. Fuel Pump RESISTOR KIT,F/PMP(ALSO USE T/W 12345382 COMPOUND). Required: 01For: W 3.8-1(L67) (1997-2000) (1997 - 1997).

goatman7818
10

Yeah what CRAZYC said. On the 3.8L Supercharged GTP there is a fuel pump resistor that runs it on low speed. The reason the car will start is because the fuel pump runs at high speed until the car is at idle and high speed also is used for passing. Located up in the passenger fender by the battery. The replacement kit will require you to relocate it on the firewall per GM instructions.